Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
I'm sure they didn't wake up one morning and say that today I will have an accident on a jetty. Just think before you step or take that extra stroll, especially in the cold. Don't be one of the ones who say what a stupid thing I did- after the fact, if you're lucky enough.

Excellent points, Surfwalker, thanks for sharing them.

Something along those lines happened to me the other night....
Thought I would share.....

Stories, stories, there are so many of them out there.. some good some bad.
but really, I want to to stress safety, over all else, how sad would it be for your family if you went out there, and didn't come home from a night of fishin?...I had the dubious pleasure of fishing next to a drunk guy the other night,...

He came up as I was gearing up to go out. Generally I would rather keep to myself out there, but this guy kind of crept up on me....

When I turned around and he was talking, his breath was so strong from drinking if you lit a match he would have been breathing flames....

He said he had just come from the bar, and he was going out there...
I tried to give some words of advice, talked about the huge swell, said it was bad enough I was wearing a PFD, and told him that even though I didn't know his level of expertise, it was not a great night to be out there anyway....

Additionally I told him that if he fell in I would be the one who would have to jump in and save him, and I wasn't looking forward to that moment if it should happen...

You can only reason with a drunk so much, otherwise it's a waste of words.

I did much drinking and drugs in my life and no one could ever tell me anything when I was high or drunk....

His response:
"Thanks for looking out for me, brotha! But I'm going to go out there anyway"

I saw that he eventually put himself into a risky position. There were no real opportunities for fish that night where he was fishing anyway. I know you can't save someone who is hell bent on destruction.

I left soon after, and checked the papers the next morning to see if anyone was reported missing or dead. Satisfied that there was no news, I'm glad he made it out of there OK.

He had no business being out there in those conditions.