Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2014.....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    finchaser nice going on the bass. Seems like you are one of the few guys still catching bass in NJ thats great!
    thanks

There are 4 of us most mornings my one friend had 11 today the other 3

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Great news on the stripers I haven't seen one in weeks. I fished the SIC area this morning and picked up a few croakers on fishbites. Also a surpriise fight with a dogfish. It was pretty big and took 10 minutes to bring in. I hate them they will eat anything.

BBQ croakers with italian seasoning and old bay sounds good. Will be out this weekend and try for them thanks for the intel.

Fished moco from 6-8:30. Perfect water incoming tide. 4 short fluke on bucktail, grub, and redgill teaser rig. Water is warming up slightly and was a little cleaner where I was fishing.

I fished ocean county this morning. The sunrise was incredible. I was using bunker and hoping for a big fluke, bass or a shark. Well I got a shark but it was the one without the teeth a dogfish! At least it saved me from the skunk. There was also lots of weed on my line each time I brought it in.

This guy looks lonely in the sink all by himself...will have to catch a friend for him next time.

Water in the back is really starting to warm up and it looks like the fluke are heading for cooler waters. Peanuts are in very thick in the usual areas.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Water in the back is really starting to warm up and it looks like the fluke are heading for cooler waters. Peanuts are in very thick in the usual areas.
    I think I ran into some of those fluke tonight JB. Fished nomoco 6-8:30 managed 9 of them on the gulp mullet. Not one keeper though. A little windy. Still a fun time and nice sunset.

Nice catching steve and jb!

Fished moco from 5-6:45 for fluke. The tide was coming in and the water seemed pretty cold. Got one short fluke and one sundial on gulp.

I fished yesterday again and still no luck finding the elusive croaker. Its almost ironic because last year I felt like it was too hard to fish the bay for fluke because the croakers were like piranhas getting to the gulp before the fluke ever got a chance to see it.

I cast net some peanut bunker and snappers in the morning.

I fished two rods side by side most of the day. On the first rod I put a live or dead peanut bunker and placed it in the rod holder and let the wind and current drift me around.

On the second rod I fished gulp by casting it and jigging it back to the kayak.

Yesterdays results was all shorts on both the gulp and peanuts.

The gulp caught me a lot of tiny fluke all the way down to 6" or so and nothing over 15".

The peanut bunker caught less fish but they averaged out to a larger size up to 17.5".

The bad news is the dogfish have invaded the RB and really love live peanuts. My friend snapped his light fluke rod when a 5ft doggie tried to run under his kayak.

Great report jbarbosa and steve.
    JB do you feel the kayak lets you get to places where larger fluke are sitting? All I have been getting lately are shorts. I fished moco twice in the last week and got shorts each time. I was using 2 pieces of gulp swimming mullet white and chartreuse. I did catch but the south wind was terrible. I don't know how you guys deal with it?

jb if I could also ask how big are the peanut bunker? thanks

Lostatsea,

I have a love/hate relationship with the kayak. It definitely has it's advantages but at the same time it's not any easier to pick through all the short fluke and seaweed on the kayak. I think it's just a numbers game...catch 20-25 shorts for every keeper. I hate carrying the dam heavy thing around and once you unstrap it from the roof your kind of limited to fishing within 6-8 miles of the launch point.

When I first bought the kayak I had a hard time even finding the fluke in numbers. There is a lot of water to cover and not all of it holds fluke.

Once the water warms up some more and we get more bait into the surf I'll leave the kayak at home.

Peanuts...yesterday they were all mostly in the 3-5" range. This size is very hard to keep alive but can be done with some work. I threw the cast net two weeks ago and all I could find was lots of 1" peanuts so a new school must have moved in.

Message for CHALOOTS!.......

My phone died again....
    I sent you a PM....most of my numbers were on that phone.....I know you check these reports every day.....so when ya see this call me at that new # I left for ya.....
    (remember to leave your phone # this time - I can't call ya back unless ya leave a #)

Talk soon.....

Fished after the rain last nite. Back bay structure OC. Fishing for weakies, nada. Fished in front OC this morning. Lots of surfers were out early. The ocean was a little messed up from the rain - water a little dirty. Water should clean up in the next 24 hours. Nice W and NW winds forecast in the next day. It was east this morning but I got blanked again.

West is best. Thanks for the conditions report.

I worked some water in moco this AM. Breezy with a big surf. No dice. Maybe one or two tide changes more to clean things up a bit.

The water cleaned up and it seemed a bit warmer this AM. 2 short bass and one fluke on the tsunami sand eel. moco

Nice going bucket head!

This morning 8 bass all on jig head and riptide shad in chartreuse water warmed up a tad but is like chocolate milk

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast