Thread: jetty safety, jetty tips

Hybrid View

watch the green rocks! Especially when landing a fish, use the waves and flex your rod to get the fish to a rock then grab the leader rather then scale down to the slippery stuff.

If you dont have korkers or dont take that advice yes certain jetties are fishable without on a calm day, but years ago i hit a blitz and i didnt realize it but i was "fishing up" my previously dry and safe rock. i slipped in slime and slammed my elbow good. a 22 lber about 5 mins later numbed the pain, but it literally hurt for about 12 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    watch the green rocks! Especially when landing a fish, use the waves and flex your rod to get the fish to a rock then grab the leader rather then scale down to the slippery stuff.

If you dont have korkers or dont take that advice yes certain jetties are fishable without on a calm day, but years ago i hit a blitz and i didnt realize it but i was "fishing up" my previously dry and safe rock. i slipped in slime and slammed my elbow good. a 22 lber about 5 mins later numbed the pain, but it literally hurt for about 12 weeks.
    This advice is on the $$. The other night we were fishing some slippery rocks. Some new guys crawled out to where we were, I saw that they weren't wearing Korkers, started chatting a little bit.
    Turns out they are hardcore freshwater guys.

But, they were and on the rocks for the first time that night, and fishing the salt for the first time, In an oncoming storm.

Dudes, don't mean to embarass you guys, know you will probably read this. We all had to start somewhere, no elitism here, But as a PSA, I wanna state that when you come out onto the rocks without korkers, you are forgetting 3 things:

1. your safety - if you slip, you're gonna bash something on your body at the very least. You might also be going in, and might drown. My friend told me that when I went out to fish the very front of the rocks, one of you guys slipped, hovered over the edge, and caught yourself at the last minute. He really thought you weree going in, you're just a little lucky.

2. your family's future - the one guy had a little son. I asked him how his family would survive if he was found drowned off the jetties. Guess that was something to think about.

3. my safety - if I saw someone slip ioff the rocks and fall into the water, I couldn't just stand there. I would have to jump in and try to save them. Waiting for a rescue in a situation that remote means that the person will likely drown, so the first few seconds are critical. So you are putting no only yourselves and your family's future in jeopardy, but the safety of others who will be compelled to save your soggy asses.

If those guys do read this, please understand I'm not trying to target you for ballbusting, but you can provide an example to others. You get those korkers, and I run into you again, I'lll take yas around and try my best to get you a fish.

Get the korkers. Tape them on your boots with duct tape. Live longer.