Thread: Kayak and Yak fishing Tips 101

Hybrid View

keep it simple --
    I go on my buddy's yak that he lends me when he goes out. I'm not that experienced but one thing that i learned from him is to keep it simple, don't take too much crap out there. And, leash everything, or you might be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    And, leash everything, or you might be sorry.
    Specially if yer launching from the surf, sand ain't good for the inside of yer reels.

This is a response geared to yak fishing that I posted today...

Maybe some others could benefit from it as well.........

Quote Originally Posted by Moosegate View Post
    Had a big fish **** the chrome off a brand new rattletrap.

I missed that hookset but I have been experimenting with a 1treble ratl trap instead of the usual 2 treble setup. Last night the hook was on the front hangar, tonight it goes on the back. Will see what works better. The point is to minimize mortality because I release all my weaks. Anyone try a single siwash on a ratl trap? Results?

Moose, haven't seen ya post in a while...how ya been?
    If it was me, I wouldn't use that setup......although I have put single siwashes on bombers and other plugs when the bluefish were thick and I was looking to have a high numbers night with quick release times......

This is just my experience, but what works better for me, is to
    1. either upgrade the trebles and hardware....
    2. Set up the hooks differently, like you are considering.....but I would just make it a single treble on the front,,,,(which is close to the middle, anyway)..IMO with only one hook, if it's a siwash....you might have a lesser chance of getting a good hookset, which you already experienced.....

Some of the thoughts about throwing smaller plugs now, is for guys to remove the rear treble, and upsize the front one with a larger size, keeping balance in mind....if the hook size is too big it could affect the way the plug swims.....

Another series of plugs that are deadly for night busting weakfish are small bombers and redfins. or the Daiwa DSM, smaller version of the SP, trolled from the yak or casted and retrieved from shore slowly.

Even though they don't really resemble the peanut bunker profile weakies will readily attack them. Those 2 are some of my go-to profiles for early season big tiderunner weakfish, on the rare occasions when I'm lucky enough to find them.....

Let us know how ya make out....
    Would love to hear a report from you how you went out and got smashed by one close to 10#...they may be few and far between, but with the fishing you're doing at night in that area,,,you never know....

For anyone who wants to learn more about upgrading hooks and rings, here is a video I posted on youtube.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4fqb9hr7L0

Or you can just go to youtube and type in "Daiwa SP"
    Tight lines and good luck.

Maybe this is just common sense. I don't have a kayak. Thinking that it would be a good idea to have on a drysuit or some protective cold weather gear if you are kayak fishing in this weather.