Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for May 2014.....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Hybrid View

Fished RB last night outgoing ....bunker chunks ...no wind ...water calm ....lighting flashes north of me ....2 keepers 35 and 33Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	18230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35.jpg 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	18231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	18232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.jpg 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	18233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.jpg 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	18234 both released ...still swimming .....caught them back to back ....nice fight on both of them

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    Fished RB last night outgoing ....bunker chunks ...no wind ...water calm ....lighting flashes north of me ....2 keepers 35 and 33 both released ...still swimming .....caught them back to back ....nice fight on both of them
    Congrats on the Bass MC, Awesome pics!!!!

I fished last night bayside, 1:30-8:30.
    Finally got rid of the skunk (5th time out...).
    Caught the top fish at 2:30 on a teaser, then at 3:30 on a 4" plastic plug I caught the short bass. Lost another shortly after on same small plug. Then around 4:30 I got the Fluke on a 5 inch plastic plug. Very nice night and felt great being out there, felt like a miracle to finally get a bend in the rod .
    Threw larger stuff, a lot, but nothing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_4_27_Fish.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	18235
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Awesome reports madcaster and monty! wtg on the releases as well! monty that fish in the top pic what is that is it a herring?

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Awesome reports madcaster and monty! wtg on the releases as well! monty that fish in the top pic what is that is it a herring?
    I thought so, figures first fish of the year for me and its a freaking oddball.

Fished island beach early am. 2 micro bass on a stubby needlefish and teaser combo. Both hit the teaser. Saw gannets working way out but didn't have binocs. Maybe they were on bunker or herring but could not tell for sure. Next time I'll bring bunker or clams. Not much other action while I was out. Still a great morning to be on the beach. Nice going madcaster and monty.

Nice work gents thanks for the report.

Nice job Madcaster & Monty.

Blurry pic doesn't help to id it but I don't see the blue tint found in river herring. Body looks a little big for herring and the river herring are way up the streams right now getting ready to spawn.

Are you familiar with hickory shad Monty?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Congrats on the Bass MC, Awesome pics!!!!

I fished last night bayside, 1:30-8:30.
    Finally got rid of the skunk (5th time out...).
    Caught the top fish at 2:30 on a teaser, then at 3:30 on a 4" plastic plug I caught the short bass. Lost another shortly after on same small plug. Then around 4:30 I got the Fluke on a 5 inch plastic plug. Very nice night and felt great being out there, felt like a miracle to finally get a bend in the rod .
    Threw larger stuff, a lot, but nothing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_4_27_Fish.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	18235

Monty its hard to tell from the blurry pic as jbarbosa said. That looks like herring tho. No dot on it that would id it as a bunker. I looked at the other pic you posted where the head is chopped off. That pic looks like a bunker. The yellow tail is a dead giveaway. Ever see bunker packed tight in schools? You can see the top of the tail coming out of the water its yellow. Nice going on the catching, madcaster as well. madcaster you are on a roll lately hope it keeps up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    body shape, and tail looks like a blue back sea herring or bunker to me definitely not a shad no spots and wrong shape tail
    Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    Monty its hard to tell from the blurry pic as jbarbosa said. That looks like herring tho. No dot on it that would id it as a bunker. I looked at the other pic you posted where the head is chopped off. That pic looks like a bunker. The yellow tail is a dead giveaway. Ever see bunker packed tight in schools? You can see the top of the tail coming out of the water its yellow. Nice going on the catching, madcaster as well. madcaster you are on a roll lately hope it keeps up for you.

dark good to have you back in the game. I find that fishing relaxes me. Hope it does the same for you. I agree with your assessment about less fish.

Fished moco this morning from 6:30-7:30. Flat calm seas out there and not too enticing. Picked up one little guy on bucktail and white grub. monty I agree with finchaser and ledhead I think that fish you caught in the top pic is a herring.

I spent my last two outings targeting Weakfish but came up without any, fished in poor conditions but my hopes of a strong spring run have dropped out. Two heavy rains about a week apart may have played a part on the spawn. Sea isle had some freaky wave of Weakies in the back going back to mid April. They usually come in two waves with the second wave mid or late May down SNJ, so holding my breath for some. One of the nights I switced to bass on the outgoing and found lots of twenty inchers and 22" looked huge!

In a weird spot right now, No Ocean Jig fish like last few years, No early Graveling Point run which has maybe never happened, no Blues but May 5th Except for the Raritan bay system which I myself rarely fish seems to be the only game in town along the whole state and thats no bueno. Big bass should hopefully start up exiting the rivers , if not Im getting ready for fluke

Fished moco from 6-9. 2 short bass, and one 6 lb bluefish. Skinny as hell, spring racer. All caught on SP.

Nice job jigfreak I was beginning to give up hope!! YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Fished moco from 6-9. 2 short bass, and one 6 lb bluefish. Skinny as hell, spring racer. All caught on SP.
    Finally!!!