Thread: How I did it: Eel Tank

Default How I did it: Eel Tank

Thought I could contribute something to the site. I have a tank for my eels. Was an old bait tank for killies and shiners, but my fish kept dying because of ammonia issues. I got a pond filter, which helped, but the real issue was fresh water.

I plumbed out a separate line to give instant access for the water. Set up another drain line in my basement to take the waste water out. Real pita, but I had some sump pump work I was doing there anyway, so I tied it in.

I'll set up a step-by-step for anyone else who wants to make an eel tank. Keep in mind there are many different ways to do this, so take what you want from this. I will say I have been able to keep eels alive for weeks with this setup, so I'm gonna stick with it.

And y'all know eels are striper candy.

The first step is to get a 55 gallon plastic tank. You can probably use something smaller, but the size I have gives me the option if I ever want to go back to keeping other bait in there, like when the bass are all gone, and I'm forced to go back to fresh water.

Then drill a 1" hole near the bottom. Take some 1" pvc, run it through the bottom, plumb the outside with a plastic shutoff. Run another short length, maybe a few inches, to a 1" rubber hose, then send that to a drain somewhere.

Seal all pvc with primer and glue. Seal the outside of where the pvc goes into the tank with epoxy and let it set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC0526.jpg   DSC0526 (2).jpg  

Now set up the inside of the tank. Run another length of 1" pvc on a 45 deg diagonal towards the top of the tank. This will be your drain. You could put this in straight, but I put it on an angle in case I ever wanted to fill the tank all the way up, and drain at the same time. Drill drain holes in the pvc, lots of em.

Then put a cap on the pvc at the top end. Prime and seal. put together.

Get yourself a pond pump and filter. It's a rectangular filter with charcoal media that sits at the bottom. I broke mine one day, so I do without it.

I just use the pump (gray in the pic) as is because the eels are too big to get sucked into the opening, and they stay away from it.

Pic of the tank and setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC0526 (4).jpg  

Pics of the pump. The opening you see is where it sucks water through, so you would have to get the rest of the filtration setup for killies or small bait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC0526 (11).jpg   DSC0526 (12).jpg  

Pics of the water fill. Plumbed 3/4" copper, with a ball valve shutoff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC0526 (6).jpg  

Pics of the drain tube, coming up on a 45 deg angle. You can see the eels in the water. I put a black rubber cap on top in case the inside of the tube ever needs to be cleaned. I didn't use primer and pvc on the inside pieces, so I can take them apart whenever needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC0526 (7).jpg  

Pics of the filter unit. I set mine up to be the cheapest long term. The internal filters come in 2 packs for $10. Only change them once every few months to keep the biologic bacteria in there. Otherwise, just rinse them when they get too filled with eel slime.

Filter unit from Home depot. Filter is connected to the pump with rubber hose and worm clamps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC0526 (8).jpg  

Pics of the tank in operation. As you can see, it pushes a lot of oxygen into the water, so I don't need the extra fishtank oxygen bubblers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC0526 (14).jpg   DSC0526 (17).jpg  

DSC0526 (18).jpg  

Alternative filtration. I was thinkin about using something else for filtration, but never got around to setting up. Got this swimming pool filtration unit as a spare. Someone could set that up as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC0526 (20).jpg   DSC0526 (21).jpg  

Great setup, the details make it easy to follow. Are you using completely fresh water, or salting it any?

Hey capt, someone else asked me if I had well or town water, so here's my answer, hope that helps.

When I kept killies and shiners, they were dying because of the town water. Finally figured I had to have better filter medium for the ammonia, and change the water less. Bleach that towns put into water really does affect small bait.

Eels seem better able to adjust, but I only change out the water every 2 weeks or so. Another thing I learned to do is put salt water tablets in the tank, buy cheapest bag possible from HD, and throw a little in every few days or so.

I'm not an expert on this, but it seems to me the salt in the water has cut down on the microbial infections that you find in bait tanks. When the water temp went up in the summer, fish would die. Winter, I was able to keep more fish alive.

When I was freshwater fishing, I would buy 12 dozen shiners at a time from a wholesaler. If I was keeping that tank filled to capacity, I would have to use a more expensive filter system, like $150. That would have been my next step but I didn't want to spend the extra $$

Very nice and detailed work.

Well water is the magic formula for long-lived bait. for the guys who don't have it, a little salt now and then goes a long way. Nice setup, ds.

Nice creation you made there.

Good tip on the salt tablets, Dark (sans iodide). Easy to do, and if done carefully, will retard a lot of the common diseases.

Started to set one up. Thanks for posting it.

Some bigger bass were caught this week. I'm thinking of setting up a tank like this, and walking a few snakes out to the Hook.

Nice setup. I always buy eels one or 2 at a time, I guess you're real serious about them, they do catch big bass.

Dark, that's a really cool tank you got there. I am going to try to set one up. Thanks for posting it.