Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The SnA downsized, unemployed, underemployed -- job resource and leads thread

Default The SnA downsized, unemployed, underemployed -- job resource and leads thread

Folks, the economy is so bad that there are no quick fixes. What was seen as a rise in unemployment in limited sectors is cutting across the board to all types of jobs. People are hurting out there. There are hundreds of folks getting laid off every day. Others are worried about keeping their jobs. Still others are being told they must accept part-time hours or reduced pay. Truly, I think those are the fortunate ones. Half a loaf is better than none.

I hope our new President can help to lead us out of this. In the meantime, the America I grew up in was a nation of strong, resolute individuals. I remember people helping each other when times were tough. This is the America I know.

To continue in that tradition, we will dedicate this thread to any leads, links, comments, or suggestions to help others find jobs.

You may post any job-related links you want in this forum, as long as they are not to other fishing sites.

Members, particularly those who come here every day, and may not feel the need to post -- here is your chance to contribute, help your fellow anglers, and be part of this community. I am asking you to rack your brains for any leads you know of.

The job you may think is too menial, or too technical, just might have a qualified applicant who is here looking for it.

Let's make this a solid resource for our fellow Americans who are hurting. Remember, the next person out of work could be you. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Thanks for this, Joe. It will be a big help as it develops. We've got to hang together in times like the ones we are facing.

This thread would not be possible without the suggestion of Mick2360. It was not my idea, and he deserves the credit.

We do have some threads here that it would make sense to link to. Other than that, kudos to Mick for his suggestions.

Remember folks -- leads to employment agencies, the guy down the block who needs a helper, the diner you eat at that needs a waiter or waitress, bartender, etc. The tackle shop that needs someone, but only on weekends? Etc, Etc. These would all be helpful.

There are some fields, such as the construction and financial fields, where there are not too many jobs right now. Some folks may want to consider working outside of their chosen field to put food on the table. We will try to do what we can.

Also acceptable are links to food pantries or Christian churches who have food closets for those in need.

Articles about finding jobs and areas that still hold promise would also be helpful. Please be sure to include the links if you post references to any published articles. In this way, almost any member can participate, if they want to. Thanks folks!

There was a thread a while ago about job leads and a recruiter in the NY area:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...read.php?t=402

Bunkerjoe's member promo forum--
    If you are a contributing member, and a friend of yours is going through a slow business cycle, feel free to post about them in this forum . Maybe we can generate some publicity and business for them:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...play.php?f=135

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...read.php?t=834

Great thread and idea, Mick's a good guy.

This is a great thread. As stated so many people are hurting and looking for jobs. One of the biggest job search sites out there is Hot jobs so I thought I would post this link:

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

Thanks Joe and Mick, I think this thread will go a long way.

It's going to be a long time before this turns around, nice work here, guys.

Americans receiving jobless benefits hits record

By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER, AP Economics Writer

WASHINGTON – The number of people receiving unemployment benefits has reached an all-time record, the government said Thursday, and more layoffs are spreading throughout the economy.

The Labor Department reported that the number of Americans continuing to claim unemployment insurance for the week ending Jan. 17 was a seasonally adjusted 4.78 million, the highest on records dating back to 1967. That's an increase of 159,000 from the previous week and worse than economists' expectations of 4.65 million.

As a proportion of the work force, the tally of unemployment benefit recipients is the highest since August 1983, a department analyst said.

The total released by the department doesn't include about 1.7 million people receiving benefits under an extended unemployment compensation program authorized by Congress last summer. That means the total number of recipients is actually closer to 6.5 million people.

Businesses continued to hemorrhage jobs Thursday. Ford Motor Co. reported a fourth-quarter loss of $5.9 billion and said its credit arm would cut 20 percent of its work force, or 1,200 jobs. Eastman Kodak Co. said it's cutting 3,500 to 4,500 jobs, or 14 to 18 percent of its work force, as it posted a $137 million quarterly loss on plunging sales of photography products.

The tally of Americans filing new jobless benefit claims rose slightly to a seasonally adjusted 588,000 last week, from a downwardly revised figure of 585,000 the previous week. That also was worse than analysts' forecast of 575,000 new claims.
    The number of initial claims is close to the 26-year high of 589,000 reached in late December, though the work force has grown by about half since then.

The record number of ongoing benefit claims is an indication that laid-off workers are having a difficult time finding new jobs, economists said.

"This highlights the key point that the trend in gross hirings has slowed as abruptly as the trend in gross firings ... has risen," Ian Shepherdson, chief U.S. economist for High Frequency Economics, wrote in a research note.

A year ago, continuing claims stood at about 2.7 million, less than half their current level when the extended unemployment program is included.

Abiel Reinhart, an economic analyst at JPMorgan Chase, said the report indicates the unemployment rate likely rose this month. January's figure will be released Feb. 6.

The rate jumped to 7.2 percent in December, a 16-year high. Employers cut an average of 510,000 jobs in the last three months of 2008, and may cut a similar amount in January, Reinhart said.

The crush of new and continuing claims has overwhelmed many states' ability to process them all. Electronic filing systems crashed in three states earlier this month, and last week Michigan said it would hire 276 workers and open a fourth call center to handle increased phone traffic.

Companies have announced a huge number of layoffs this week as they prepare for an extended period of economic weakness.

Economists expect the current recession, which began in December 2007, to be the longest since World War II.

Starbucks Corp. on Wednesday said it would cut 6,700 jobs. The coffee company also said it would close 300 underperforming stores, on top of 600 it already planned to shut down.
    Time Warner Inc.'s AOL division is cutting up to 700 jobs, or about 10 percent of the online unit's work force. And IBM Corp. has cut thousands of jobs in its sales, software and hardware divisions in the past week, without announcing specific numbers.
    Boeing Co., Pfizer Inc., Home Depot Inc. and other U.S. corporate titans also have announced tens of thousands of job cuts this week alone. Companies have announced about 130,000 layoffs in January, according to an Associated Press tally.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090129/..._ec_fi/economy

Default passing it on

A little late notice, but I'm on the last legs of an apartment rehab. Tomorrow I have one replacement window left to do, and some fitting in and cutting of a new formica countertop and stainless sink. I will also be updating some electrical outlets and installing some fixtures. I already have the help I need to do it, but I'm putting an offer out there to anyone who is out of work and wants to learn some new skills. I'd be glad to teach ya what I know.

Maybe you want to make some money on the side in your neighborhood by learning new stuff. Jobsite is in NJ. If any of the above interests you, get at me with pm before 6am.

Angel Food Ministries

There is a ministry called Angel Food Ministries which you can buy a box of food for $30. It is a great buy when you are in need.

Below is the February Menu which is all inclusive of the $30. The Senior box is $28. You can also order additional food boxes for other prices.

Each month there is a new menu and you can order online. Click on the link to their site below enter your zip code to locate a pick up location nearest to your home.

It's a great value and in tough times really helps save on the food bill.

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

REGULAR BOX
    Balanced nutrition and variety with enough food to feed a family of four for a week.

1.5 lb. Sirloin Strip Steaks
    (4 x 6 oz.)

2 lb. Tray Pack Chicken Breast

1 lb. Boneless Pork Chops

2 lb. Breaded Chicken Nuggets

28 oz. Salisbury Steak Entrée

12 oz. Sliced Bacon

1 lb. All-Meat Hot Dog

1 lb. Stir Fry (Broccoli, Red Peppers & Onions)

1 lb. Carrots

8 oz. Breakfast Cereal

32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk

35 oz. Crinkle-Cut Fries

7.25 oz. Mac ‘n Cheese

1 lb. Rice

1 lb. Bean Soup Mix

Dozen Eggs

Dessert
    SENIOR/CONVENIENCE BOX

For Seniors or People on the Go!

Ten perfectly seasoned, nutritionally balanced, fully cooked meals—just heat and serve. Each meal has been developed with the dietary needs of senior citizens in mind, and contains 3 oz. of protein, a starch & two vegetables or fruit.

Beef Chili Macaroni Casserole with Diced Carrots and Green Beans

Ham & White Beans with Diced Sweet Potatoes and Winter Blend Vegetables

Creamy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo with Corn and Capri Blend Vegetables

Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice, Peas and Carrots, and Squash Medley

Flame Broiled BBQ Chicken Breast with Diced Sweet Potatoes and Broccoli

Seasoned Beef Chili with Beans, Broccoli and Applesauce

Beef Meatballs & Shell Pasta with Creamy Alfredo Sauce, Green Bean Casserole and Squash Medley

Pot Roast and Gravy with Vegetables, Diced Potatoes and Green Peas

Creamy Macaroni & Cheese with Diced Carrots and Green Peas

Grilled Chicken Breast over Rice & Gravy with Diced Carrots and Green Peas

10 2-pack, individually-wrapped cookies

$30.00

NY Food Stamp Program

When I was a small child my parents were part of the food stamp program. There is no shame in it, so for all those in need do not hesitate to apply.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/html/directory/food.shtml

Recruiter Roundtable: Keys to Success in 2009

Expert Advice on What Job-Seekers Must Do This Year

In light of the troubling economic climate and tightening job market, what is the one thing that job-seekers must do in order to be successful in landing a good job in 2009?
    Exhaust All Options

Tell everyone you know about the type of position you are looking for, network online and at industry events, go on informational interviews, work with a recruiting firm, take on temporary assignments, and be flexible when meeting with prospective employers.

When developing your cover letter and resume, quantify the value of your contributions to previous employers, including how you helped cut costs, reduce inefficiencies or improve profitability. There are opportunities available, but job seekers will have to work harder to find them and cannot afford to leave even one stone unturned.
    -- DeLynn Senna, executive director of North American permanent placement services, Robert Half International

Network With Smarts
    Candidates must be building and strengthening their network -- ideally before it's needed. Find networking events to go find other like-minded individuals and connectors. Build your online presence through your social networks and be an active participant in the community. And remember to give more than take -- share your knowledge, help others be better, and invest time in building strong, long-lasting relationships. These are the relationships that could turn into future job leads.
    -- Lindsay Olson, partner, Paradigm Staffing

Flexibility Is Key
    Stay open to opportunities in new or related industries, companies of a different size, or in a different location; and be aware that with the advent of technology, a new location just may be your home office.
    Be flexible. You may or may not have to travel a bit more, take a different title, or give up some of the perks you've had in the past to assume your new role. All things being equal, if you're flexible around these topics you're chances of getting hired increase considerably.
    -- Cheryl Ferguson, recruiter, The Recruiter's Studio

Diversify and Listen
    My advice is two-fold: Be ready to diversify the ways in which you communicate your experiences AND listen well.
    First, make a laundry list, just for yourself, of all the projects, contributions, ideas, etc., from your last three positions. This is what's not on your resume. It jogs your memory about how you have differentiated yourself. You'll recall and distill examples of your success, and you'll be ready for more questions.
    Second, listen closely to what the recruiter and/or hiring manager is asking you. They are looking for something very particular, whether the opportunity is leadership or entry-level. Walking someone through your resume or citing examples that they're not seeking could hinder your ability to seem specific to their job. You want to be very clear about your transferable skills and your willingness to adapt to their environment.
    -- Ross Pasquale, recruiting/sourcing consultant, Monday Ventures

Tailor Your Resume
    The most important thing that job seekers must do in 2009 to be successful is to diversify the content of their resumes based on the roles that they are applying for. For example, a job seeker may have worked in the past as a Java engineer, and also obtained project management along the way. However, a resume that is oriented strongly toward being a Java engineer has only a slight chance of being considered for a project-manager position.
    For job seekers to increase their chances at success, they should shape their resumes to reflect relevant matching skills with the job posting(s) they are applying to. By doing so, a recruiter and/or hiring manager will more easily understand how a job seeker's past experiences apply to the posted role. This method increases the chance of being considered a strong candidate, receiving an interview, and, ultimately, a new position.
    -- Joanna Samuels, senior account manager, GravityPeople

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-arti...ss_in_2009-621

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    but I'm putting an offer out there to anyone who is out of work and wants to learn some new skills. I'd be glad to teach ya what I know.

Nice offer there DS. Let me know if you ever want to come fishing on the boat with us.

A link for US jobs
    http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/

This is a great thread. Hopefully it will help someone.

In January 600,000 people were laid off. The unemployment rate is now at 7.6%.

How about monster.com, they are another job source.

New York Allots Another $2 Billion for Unemployment Benefits
    By Patrick McGeehan
    Published: February 10, 2009

With 25,000 New Yorkers filing new claims for unemployment benefits every week, state lawmakers agreed on Tuesday to authorize paying out an additional $2 billion this year to the unemployed.

The agreement announced in Albany came five weeks after the state started borrowing from the federal government to cover a growing gap between what the state unemployment trust fund collects and what it pays out each week. The current budget had allowed for $3 billion per year in benefits to the state’s unemployed, but state officials now estimate those payouts will rise to $4.6 billion as the recession grinds on.

The new limit, of $5 billion this year, “allows some flexibility in case there’s some further deterioration,” said Jeffrey Gordon, a spokesman for the state’s budget office.

But the agreement does not address the underlying problems that have left the state fund with a rapidly widening shortfall. New York State taxes a smaller amount of each worker’s annual pay than neighboring states do, leaving it with less of a cushion to cover benefits in hard times.
    “What they should be doing is fixing the trust fund by raising the threshold for contributions and adjusting the benefits,” said Denis M. Hughes, president of the New York State A.F.L.-C.I.O. “For the working men and women of this state, they have to make this system more solvent.”
    The maximum weekly unemployment check of $405 in New York is lower than in neighboring states like New Jersey ($584), Connecticut ($576) and Massachusetts ($628).

More than 420,000 state residents are collecting unemployment checks, up from about 175,000 a year ago, according to Gov. David A. paterson's office. The jobless rolls are still growing, with twice as many people filing first-time claims for benefits each week as there were a year ago. In December, the state's unemployment rate rose to 7 percent from 6 percent in November.

On Feb. 22, the state is scheduled to start paying extended unemployment benefits to thousands of New Yorkers whose benefits have lapsed in the first several weeks of 2009. The rise in the state’s unemployment rate in December qualified residents who had exhausted 46 weeks of benefits to collect an additional 13 weeks.

Default Wanted: You! 10 Jobs Where Employers Come Looking For You

I can't say I would qualify for any of these jobs, but maybe it's not too late for some of you younger pups.

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-arti...ng_for_you-668

by Romy LeClaire Loran, FindtheRightSchool.com

Within the next few years, jobs will outstrip demand in some professions. Some employers may even woo you with incentive bonuses, well-paid salaries, and good benefits packages. So, instead of preparing for a career where the job search process is long and grueling, why not find a career where prospective employers practically come knocking on the door? Accountants
    With an array of new businesses and ever-changing laws, accountants will be needed to assist clients with their record keeping and tax needs. A bachelor's degree in accounting can get you started in this rapidly growing profession, which paid an annual average salary of $63,180 in 2007, according to The Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS).
    Computer Software Engineer
    We may not even realize it, but software plays an increasing role in our lives. Don't believe it? Your last trip to the grocery store or even the fast food joint down the street was made quicker and more efficient with computer software. If you enjoy math and computer science, you can earn your bachelor's degree in computer science or in computer engineering and become a computer software engineer. In 2007, you would have made a yearly average wage of $85,660.
    Dental Hygienist
    As the need for dental care increases, dentists continue to rely heavily on their hygienists for cleaning, X-rays, and preventative care. Many dental hygienists work part-time and enjoy flexible hours. An online dental hygiene program can help prepare you for this lucrative career, which is expected to grow 30 percent by 2016. In 2007, dental hygienists made an annual average salary of $64,910.
    Elementary Teacher
    Want to contribute to the future? With many teachers nearing retirement, the need continues to grow for new elementary teachers who enjoy kids and want to see them reach their potential. You'll need a bachelor's degree in education or another related field. Certification requirements vary by state, but in 2007 elementary teachers earned $50,040 on average, with the added bonus of time off during the year.
    Environmental Science and Protection Technician
    As more companies, businesses, and governments need to go green, the number of people who can monitor pollutants and wastes will increase dramatically. As an environmental science technician, you'll help find new ways to alleviate environmental stress on the planet. An associate's degree in applied science may be all you need in some instances for this quickly growing profession, which paid an average of $42,190 in 2007.
    Nurse
    The need for nurses is expected to grow considerably as the population continues to age. Hospitals, doctors' offices, clinics, and nursing homes will need nurses with a bachelor's degree or an associate's degree from an approved nursing program. The 2.5 million nurses in this country made, on average, $62,480 annually in 2007.
    Personal Finance Advisor
    If you enjoy helping others and have an interest in the world of finance, becoming a personal finance advisor may be for you. A bachelor's degree in finance will prepare you for this rapidly growing and increasingly complex profession. By helping clients make financial decisions relating to investments, personal finance advisors earned an average yearly wage of $89,220 in 2007.
    Physical Therapist Assistant
    The baby boomers may be aging but they still love to play. After an injury or for a complaint such as arthritis, patients need treatment, and physical therapists need qualified assistants. An online associate's degree from an accredited physical therapist assistant program can prepare you for this career. In 2007, physical therapist assistants made $44,340 a year.
    Skin Care Specialist
    With an increasing population that is also interested in skin care, the need for skin care specialists or estheticians is on the rise. In 2007, skin care specialists earned an average annual wage of $30,600. A program in skin care will give you the career training you need to provide facials, body treatments, and make-up advice to keep your clients looking gorgeous.
    Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselor
    Substance abuse and behavior disorder counselors assist clients with their recovery from addiction. Whether their clients are facing problems with alcohol, drugs, gambling, or eating disorders, counselors help them get on with their lives. A bachelor's degree in counseling and career training can prepare you for this worthwhile but emotionally demanding job, which paid an average yearly wage of $37,830 in 2007.
    Veterinary Technologist and Technician
    Veterinary technologists and technicians serve as nurses to pooches and felines. You may also work in an aquarium or a zoo. A two- or four-year program in veterinary technology can provide you with career training in this quickly growing profession, which paid $28,920 on average in 2007.
    Online associate's degrees and bachelor's degrees have never been so accessible. With many schools and programs to choose from, you can begin the career training you need for a profession whose employer just may be looking for you.

Default Resume

One of the most important items needed when searching for a job is a good resume. Your computer has templets, and building help in Microsoft word. To access it do the following:

Open Microsoft Word, then click on:
    File
    New
    Templates or New from Template

Click on either:
    Template or Templates on Office Online (browse a large selection) or
    Templates on My Computer
    Other Documents (four resume templates)

Please beaware that all templates may work with all versions of Word, so check before you download. There will be a message next to the download button advising if there are restrictions.

Visit Microsoft Resume Templates, browse the resume templates, then click on the resume title to preview the resume sample. Click the Download Now button, then follow the instructions to download the resume template to your computer.

Don't forget a good cover letter. That is the first impression, do a google search on how to write one up.

Default Union County NJ One-Stop Career Job Search Services

Springfield Library offers help for job seekers

The Springfield free public library is responding to the economic downturn by offering a session with Janice O'Brien, Job Developer and Case Manager at the Union County One-Stop Center in Elizabeth on March 5 at 11am.

Another session on Job Search 2.0 is planned for later in March and will cover the use of social networking sites such as Twitter as job search tools. The March 5 session will be held in the Palmer Museum at the library and is free to all.

Ms. Janice O'Brien, Job Developer and Case Manager at the Union County One-Stop Center in Elizabeth, will discuss the full spectrum of services available to Union County job seekers through various county and state agencies.
    The Union County One-Stop Career Centers provide job search services, including career counseling, job listings, industry outlooks and assistance with vocational training. The One-Stops also partner with Union County College, local employers and non-profit organizations to match Union County residents with specialized training programs leading to employment.
    Some topics to be covered include the Professional Services group within the NJ Division of Labor who offer resume development, Unemployment Services and special programs for veterans, seniors and people with disabilities.
    The session will be held in the Palmer Museum at the library and is free to all. For more information on this session and other resources the library offers to job seekers, please stop by the Reference Desk or call 973-376-4930.

The unemployment rate is getting worse everyday. One thing that seems to be helping people are the numerous job fairs that they are having. If there is one in your area, you should get your resume together and go.

Nice thread with some guys putting up quality posts. Let's look out for one another....who knows who could be next?

Default Jobs in West Virginia

Read this on yahoo

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate...-Looking-Smart

Why College Towns Are Looking Smart

by Kelly Evans
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009provided by
    Looking for a job? Try a college town.
    Morgantown, W.Va., home to West Virginia University, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the U.S. -- just 3.9% -- and the university itself has about 260 job openings, from nurses to professors to programmers.

"We're hurting for people, especially to fill our computer and technical positions," says Margaret Phillips, vice president for human relations at WVU.
    Of the six metropolitan areas with unemployment below 4% as of January, three of them are considered college towns. One is Morgantown. The other two are Logan, Utah, home of Utah State University, and Ames, Iowa, home of Iowa State University. Both have just 3.8% unemployment, based on Labor Department figures that are not seasonally adjusted.
    The pattern holds true for many other big college towns, such as Gainesville, Fla., Ann Arbor, Mich., Manhattan, Kan., and Boulder, Colo. In stark contrast, the unadjusted national unemployment rate is 8.5%.
    While college towns have long been considered recession-resistant, their ability to avoid the depths of the financial crisis shaking the rest of the nation is noteworthy. The ones faring the best right now are not only major education centers; they also are regional health-care hubs that draw people into the city and benefit from a stable, educated, highly skilled work force.

The big question hanging over these communities is whether their formula for success can outlast the nation's nastiest recession in at least a quarter-century. Amid investment losses and state budget woes, many college cities are starting to see their unemployment rates rise, even though they're still lower than the national average. The longer the recession drags on, the more likely college towns are to catch up with their harder-hit peers.
    They already have felt the impact of the recession. WVU saw its endowment fall by nearly a quarter in the second half of 2008, and its hospitals are reducing 401(k) matching contributions and delaying $20 million in capital spending, though its state funding has remained intact.
    State Funding Cuts
    Utah State University has seen nearly 10% of its state funding cut in the past six months, and in response has laid off about 20 employees and imposed a mandatory weeklong furlough for its employees during spring break to save costs. Iowa State, facing a 9% reduction in state appropriations, just received approval to begin an early-retirement program.
    But for now, at least, job seekers who act quickly -- and are willing to relocate -- could well fare better in places like Morgantown, which is about 70 miles south of Pittsburgh near the Pennsylvania border. College towns like Morgantown have a distinct advantage over many other cities: They enjoy a constant stream of graduates, some who stay put and others who return years later -- and each year brings a new crop of students and potential residents to the area.
    "I could go almost anywhere and get a job right now," says Shane Cruse, a senior in the WVU school of nursing who graduates in May, citing the shortage of nurses nationwide. But come June 1, he'll be starting as a registered nurse at WVU's Ruby Memorial Hospital.
    "I love it here," Mr. Cruse says. "It's a large-enough city that there's plenty to do. But you still leave your house and feel like it's your hometown."
    WVU has a current enrollment of nearly 29,000, about the same size as the city of Morgantown, though the metro population is now about 115,000 and draws thousands more daily from the surrounding region for health care, shopping and WVU athletic events.
    Today, the university and its hospital system together employ nearly 12,500 people -- the largest employer in the whole state. Job growth in the Morgantown metropolitan area averaged 3.2% a year from 2002-07, according to the university's Bureau of Business and Economic Research, compared to growth of just 1.1% nationally and 0.7% in West Virginia. The university system in total has an estimated annual economic impact of about $3.9 billion statewide.
    Highly Skilled Work Force
    Economists credit a highly skilled work force for the resilience of college towns. Edward Glaeser, an economics professor at Harvard University, has demonstrated that as the share of the adult population with college degrees in a city increases by 10%, wages correspondingly rise by about 7.8%.
    "Apart from weather, human capital has been the best long-run predictor of urban success in the last century," Mr. Glaeser says.
    Nikki Bowman, a 1992 graduate of WVU, is the kind of person economists have in mind when they speak of "human capital." She spent years in the magazine industry in places like Chicago and Washington, D.C., before returning last year to start her own magazine, WV Living, which was launched in November.
    "It was my dream to come back, and I knew I could make it work," says Ms. Bowman, 37. "Part of why I wanted to be here was to pull from the journalism school and I have a lot of great interns as a result," which helps keep her payroll costs down.
    WVU graduate Lindsay Williams, 29, started work as a real-estate broker with Howard Hanna's Morgantown office shortly after leaving WVU while waiting for her then-boyfriend -- now her husband -- to finish his degree. She now serves as president of the Morgantown Board of Realtors.
    Another factor helping college towns: "communiversity," the current term for partnerships between universities and their home cities, such as joint economic development projects. The trend also reflects a shift in education to increasingly emphasize out-of-classroom learning, such as internships and volunteer work, that by definition engages the community, according to Sal Rinella, president of the Society for College and University Planning in Los Angeles.
    "We could actually call these town-gown partnerships a kind of new movement in American higher education," he says. "In the last 20 years or so, the boundaries between the cities and the universities have really begun to crumble."
    Planning experts point to the successful relationships between the University of Pennsylvania and downtown Philadelphia, and Johns Hopkins University's multimillion-dollar partnership with the East Baltimore Development Corp. But the college-town effect has its greatest impact in places like Morgantown.
    The close relationship between Morgantown and WVU was partly borne out of desperation. In 1991, a young, reform-minded group including Ron Justice, who is now the mayor, was elected to the city council at a pivotal moment; the decades-long decline of railroad and heavy industry in Morgantown meant the city urgently needed to find a new engine of growth.
    The council hired a city manager to oversee municipal finances, and began working more closely with the WVU administration in a joint effort to turn the town around. They started out small, with road-paving projects and public safety. In 2001, the university relocated a major new administration building in the city's blighted Wharf District instead of its downtown campus.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast