Thread: Line

Default Line

The Weakest Link

Over the years I’ve heard so many stories about the big one that “broke my line.” This is an avoidable circumstance in most cases but very few people give nearly as much attention or thought to their fishing line as they probably should. In this day and age of high tech rods, high dollar reels and chemically treated and sharpened hooks, the weakest link between you and the fish is your line!

There have been a lot of technical improvements in fishing line over the last few years. Braided lines have been available for a several years now and fluorocarbon lines are becoming more and more prevalent. Even the standard nylon monofilament has been improved over the years. Let’s talk a little about each, their Pros and Cons and when I use them;

Probably the “hottest” ticket in fishing line is fluorocarbon line. Originally touted as the “invisible” line because its density is higher and closer to that of water and its light refraction is less than standard monofilament. Its higher density makes it heavier than monofilament and causes it to sink but makes it much more sensitive.
    The Pros:
    Less visible
    More sensitive
    Less stretch than monofilament

The Cons:
    Expensive
    Line memory is more significant especially in larger pound test lines
    Can be hard to find

Applications:
    I really like to use fluorocarbon in smaller sizes on my spinning tackle for the sensitivity reasons. The only other use I have for fluorocarbon at this point is for long line soft plastic applications, a Carolina rig, casting a Texas rig, dragging a jig or with swimbaits.

Braided line has been available for years now and continues to be a mainstay in certain applications.

The Pros:
    NO stretch
    The most sensitive line
    Cuts through grass
    Very abrasion resistant
    No line memory

The Cons:
    Relatively expensive
    Under tension it’s easily cut on any sharp edge making it a poor choice for fishing around rocks.
    Doesn’t cast very smoothly on baitcasting equipment.

Applications:
    For me braided line is reserved for pitching/flipping mostly around grass or fishing a worm at night.

Standard Nylon Monofilament has been around for decades and even though there have been some improvements in the formulation of the line it still basically the same.

The Pros:
    Inexpensive
    Soft, casts well and line memory isn’t too bad
    Surprisingly durable
    Easily found/purchased

The Cons:
    Les sensitive than other types
    Increased stretch which reduces hooksetting effectiveness

Applications:
    I use monofilament in ALL but a few specific situations. Its castability, durability and affordability are the major reasons I choose to use monofilament.

A few more points to consider:
    I use “clear” lines, the pigments used to make the lines green or other colors make the line stiff and increase line memory.
    Many of the professional fishermen retie their knot after every fish catch. I don’t go quite to that extreme but I do check my line and knots often for any fray, nicks or rough spots.
    ANY fray, nick or kink in the line warrants the line being retied and section being cut out.
    I mentioned affordability and ease of purchase a couple times because I change my line so frequently. I CHANGE ALL MY LINE BEFORE EVERY TOURNAMENT.
    This can get very expensive but it’s a step I take to prevent line breakages.
    Store your line in cool, dry place.

Keep your line fresh, in good shape, retie often and you can avoid having to tell the story about “the big one that broke my line.”

There is NO substitute for time on the water!

http://www.fishingwithrusty.com/article.php?id=51

Default Abrasion in bail roller area

This winter I purchased a new Daiwa spinning reel, Advantage TA 4000. This weekend when fishing I noticed a little abrasion in the line right where I pickup the line off the bail roller, I promptly cut the line and retied and after several more casts noticed it again. I always use 12lb. Ande clear mono and have never had this problem with any of my older Daiwa reels. Has anyone else had this problem with their line with the newer reels? This reel cost me 150 bucks and I'm hoping that it was not a mistake. Thanks in advance.

Mike O

Default roller

Hello MikeO,

have you checked your roller for rough spots or if it's spinning?
    it's always a good idea to give it a drop of oil before you fish it!!
    also make sure there is not a groove in the rolloer or bail wire that could grab the line as well.use a q-tip to see if any fuzz sticks or use a mag glass.
    thats just another reason I switched to winches.

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Default bail roller

Like I said in the post, the abrasion is only in the area where I pickup the line off the bail to cast. It is only about an inch long. The only other thing that I noticed, which I think is a remote possibility is I have a small callous on the tip of my finger where the line cut it a couple of weeks ago and is healing. It is a little rough on that spot. Other than that everything else seems normal. Next trip I will see if it happens again, by that time the finger tip will be totally healed. Thanks for the reply.

Mike O