Thread: Raritan Bay: Oyster seed program terminated by DEP

Default Raritan Bay: Oyster seed program terminated by DEP

Some of you may know that the Raritan Bay Oyster program has been terminated. Some of you may have not heard this yet.

The group running this has been the Raritan Bay Baykeeper. I knew about the oyster seeding program when it first began.

I tend not to promote things like this because sometimes I find that the agendas of Environmental Groups are at odds with the goals of fishermen. Since I'm a fisherman, I have a bias towards the goals of that group, the fishermen, which always takes priority in my world.

Avoiding news releases from Environmental groups has been beneficial, because I don't want folks to think any favorable comments I have about them means I'm aligned with their principles.

However, in this instance, I think the NY/NJ Baykeeper group got the shaft by over-zealous officials at the DEP.

The oyster seeding program was a win-win situation, good for everyone, and now they want to abolish it because of poaching concerns.

Sounds like more of NJ's lame bureaucracy in action over the unimportant issues, while they tend to ignore the most important ones.

NJ and you...inefficient bureaucracy at it's best.

Default What it's about, and how you can help

As I said, making the water cleaner in Raritan Bay and the NY Bight Harbors is a good goal for everyone. I'm disappointed to see things went down this way.

Here's how you can help:
    Even if you just C&P the letter below and say you support the oyster seeding program, that could be helpful, so please consider doing that if you can spare a moment, thanks.

June 10, 2010

Dear Friends of NY/NJ Baykeeper,

By now you may have heard the sad and frustrating news that the New Jersey DEP has issued a press release announcing its intention to ban all research related gardening of commercial shellfish in contaminated coastal and inner harbor waters and seek immediate removal of species now growing in such waters. Since NY/NJ Baykeeper is the only group conducting such activities, the DEP announcement effectively calls for the elimination of our oyster restoration program.

NY/NJ Baykeeper has actively sought to restore oysters in the Hudson/Raritan Estuary over the past ten years through scientific research, citizen involvement and education. We have prioritized oyster restoration because we know that without the habitat oyster reefs provide the ecosystem will never properly recover and without their incredible ability to filter pollution out of the water, the harbor will never be as clean as it should.
    Our view is shared throughout government, including by the DEP, and this is why Commissioner Martin's decision is so demoralizing and so inexplicable. Apparently, the DEP is concerned that poachers could find our oysters, sell them and people could get sick.
    Now clearly, our oysters are not fit for human consumption. Just as blue crabs, ribbed mussels, finfish and all manner of other crustaceans and shellfish in the harbor our oysters live and grow in contaminated water and are the subject of consumption advisories. The DEP seems to fear that there are people out there who will find our reefs - though underwater at all times, - choose our oysters - though they are too small for human consumption, - remove them - though they are firmly affixed to immovable structures, - and then sell them to unwitting consumers. We think that danger is vanishingly unlikely.

Still, we have frequently offered to work with the DEP to improve security. We have proposed many solutions to the supposed public health risk, including caging the oysters, citizen patrols, deputized volunteer patrols, and motion sensing technology. DEP has never seriously entertained these offers and now stands poised to decimate our oyster program even though it is the most cost effective method for environmental improvement currently on the table. We had hoped that Commissioner Martin would be willing to consider small business solutions for environmental problems, but now we know he just doesn't get it. Instead, NY/NJ Baykeeper will potentially face layoffs, loss of over a million dollars in project funding and New Jersey residents will face huge tax bills when they are forced to fund more expensive remediation projects such as sewer separation and storm water control.
    Why isn't the DEP looking into the actual cause of the pollution and ways to prevent further pollution, which would eliminate the need for this decision in the first place? What makes our oysters more dangerous than similar restoration projects in the Chesapeake and elsewhere? Why is the DEP so aggressive in enforcing a decision that will take valuable education resources away from more than 20 urban and suburban New Jersey schools, and more than 2,000 students? What is DEP doing to avoid the poaching and harvesting of other contaminated sea life? Why are they just targeting our secured oysters that are there to remove the pollution from the water? Does DEP realize that cutting this program takes more than $1 million out of the NJ economy?

We just don't know.

Baykeeper does not intend to fold up and walk away from oyster restoration. We are considering our legal and political options, and would love any support that you can offer. Can you write a letter to your local paper's editor? Can you write your state assemblyperson or senator? Can you write Commissioner Martin and let him know you oppose his shortsighted plan? I hope you can.

If all our options fail in New Jersey, we will still fight for oyster restoration in the harbor. We believe that it is critical restore our environment in our urban estuary - this is where the majority of our citizens live and they deserve clean water, educational opportunities and improved habitat just like the less densely populated areas of state.

Thank you for your continued support,

Debbie Mans, Baykeeper

Letters to the Editor can be sent to the Asbury Park Press and The Star Ledger, and online comments are also very useful for coverage from NBC news.

Letters to the DEP Commissioner should be sent to the address below, as well as to the Baykeeper office, where Chrissy Lynn will be compiling a packet. A draft letter is available for reference, if needed.

Bob Martin, Commissioner
    New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
    401 East State Street, P.O. Box 402
    Trenton, NJ 08625-0402

First it's SWANS now Oysters keep it up and Lubichenco will get you a job at PEW

Oysters would be good, then you and your followers could rake and fish them, you wouldn't have to buy clams. May be even write a how to article,give a seminar or become a guide possibilities are endless.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    First it's SWANS now Oysters keep it up and Lubichenco will get you a job at PEW

Oysters would be good, then you and your followers could rake and fish them, you wouldn't have to buy clams. May be even write a how to article,give a seminar or become a guide possibilities are endless.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I tend not to promote things like this because sometimes I find that the agendas of Environmental Groups are at odds with the goals of fishermen. Since I'm a fisherman, I have a bias towards the goals of that group, the fishermen, which always takes priority in my world.

Avoiding news releases from Environmental groups has been beneficial, because I don't want folks to think any favorable comments I have about them means I'm aligned with their principles.

I knew I would get some wise-aZZ comments, there's one in every crowd.
    1.That's why I specifically said what I highlighted above. I know ya read that, but ya couldn't resist the urge to tie it in to the swans.

2. As for writing an article or a seminar, that's your territory, I'm just the salesman and super-promoter.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...?t=6635&page=2
    I rope em in, and then you can teach them the way of the ancient tin squid old timers, and hi-low bunker/clam rigs.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=6421

Hey, pile it on, feel free, I'll be headlining here all week....then it's your turn, ya VOGB.

Default Re: oyster program

IHey, pile it on, feel free, I'll be headlining here all week....then it's your turn, ya VOGB.
    That sucks! Hey I already know the OGB acronym, but what does VOGB mean?

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    That sucks! Hey I already know the OGB acronym, but what does VOGB mean?
    Very Grouchy

Old

Grouchy

Basstard!

(on the days when he's extra grouchy!)

Default Oyster program update

This is the latest from their newsletter:

Baykeeper continues to communicate with NJDEP regarding the Keyport Harbor Experimental project, as well as the status of our pending Oyster Gardening and Shrewsbury Reef permits. Despite repeated assurances from NJDEP Commissioner Martin that they want to work with us to move forward, a recent conference call revealed that Baykeeper's pending permits-submitted months ago-have yet to be reviewed. A site visit by DEP has been promised, however scheduling continues to be pushed back. Our hope is that the Department will begin to deliver on their promises so that a productive pathway forward can be reached. It is our hope that the site visit will allay the Department's fear of the project posing a risk to human health. In the meantime, monitoring of the reef continues. Growth and mortality data is being conducted, as well as visual surveys.

The NYC Oyster Gardener Training and Distribution was held on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 on Governor's Island. Four new groups were added to the existing gardening sites in New York, and four groups were provided with replacement materials. The gardeners counted out 500 oysters, conducted an initial measurement of a sample of 50, and were provided a packet of information containing data sheets, instructions, an organism identification card, and relevant permits.

See news coverage about Baykeeper's Oyster Restoration Program here:

Baykeeper asks DEP to ease shellfish gardening ban

Oysters will remain in Hackensack until directive orders them pulled

Oyster restoration project in jeopardy

Oyster planting enters season 3

DEP shuts oyster-bed study in Hackensack River

The Record: Oysters barred

Raritan Bay oyster project continues

DEP order halts oyster efforts

Today the Star Ledger reported the DEP Commissioner Martin has shut their NJ operations down in any contaminated areas.

Although I understand the reasons behind it, I strongly disagree with this.

An analogy I could give to hlep people understand better is that they have striped bass on some restaurant menus in NJ. This is farm-raised striped bass. Using the logic of the DEP, it would make sense to prohibit any farm raised striped bass from being sold in restaurants in NJ, because the DEP, using its own words "doesn't have anough manpower for enforcement" to prevent poaching.

I'm not really aligned with the Baykeeper or thei other projects as I previously mentioned.

However, I'll again say I feel they got the shaft on this one. I'm not sure the reasons given were the true reasons. I think in the long run we have to find a way to keep the bays clean and the waters cleaner. I say that as a fishermen with purely selfish motive, as I'm most concerned with the fish always being there.

Default Another opinion

Found this piece, thought some might want to read it...

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/com...er-restoration

Why is it that at every forum in the NY/NJ harbor estuary, the DEP is the only federal or state agency actively opposed to large-scale restoration of oysters?

Why is it that Delaware Bay, an equally urban estuary, has a subsidized oyster restoration program? Why is it that southern New Jersey shell fishing interests appear to have the support of the department while northern fishermen rarely, if ever, get support?

Why is it that at a time when both the governor and the president are calling for green jobs and green infrastructure projects, the one "shovel-ready" project in the state — Baykeeper's oyster restoration project — is being targeted in such a mean-spirited way?

Any politically astute person knows the answer: The DEP is fearful its lack of enforcement of clean water standards, its flaccid CAFRA permitting program, its subpar toxic site cleanup program, its apparent disinterest in extracting natural resource damages from polluters of the Raritan River like National Lead, and its shellfish program's bias will be exposed.

Why is it that southern New Jersey shell fishing interests appear to have the support of the department while northern fishermen rarely, if ever, get support?
    You don't want to mess with those guys, I hear they have more bags of lime than the Mafia. Also they pay off the Congressmen big time to get things done their way.

Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    You don't want to mess with those guys, I hear they have more bags of lime than the Mafia. Also they pay off the Congressmen big time to get things done their way.
    Commercials pay lobbyists and pay off lawmakers. It's that simple. If recreational guys put 1/10 the amount per person into lobbying donationns that the commercial guys put into it, we wouldn't be complaining because we would be winning these battles.

Some media resources -

Oyster-NJDEP News Coverage Below is an up-to-date list of links to Baykeeper's news coverage so far:

PRINT

Asbury Park Press:
    June 7, 2010: DEP Order Halts Oyster Effort
    June 11, 2010: Raritan Bay Oyster Project Continues
    June 20, 2010: Oyster Planting Enters Season 3
    June 24, 2010: Oyster Restoration Project in Jeopardy: Op-Ed by Andy Willner, Baykeeper Emeritus & Trustee
    July 15, 2010: NJ orders oyster bed restoration project removed
    July 17, 2010: Feds: N.J. didn't patrol shellfish grounds.

The Star Ledger:
    June 7, 2010: DEP Halts Oyster Restoration After BP Oil Spill
    June 13, 2010: Environmentalists say shut down of NJ oyster beds could have detrimental effects
    June 17, 2010: NJ Environmental Group files protest over oyster beds shutdown that may lead to court hearing
    June 22, 2010: NJ Senator introduces bill allowing experimental oyster beds to continue
    July 15, 2010: NJ orders nonprofit group to remove experimental oyster beds from contaminated waters
    July 18, 2010: NJ's oyster industry faces shutdown if federal health requirements not met

The Independent:

July 8, 2010: Baykeeper asks DEP to ease shellfish gardening ban

The Bergen Record:
    June 14, 2010: DEP Shuts oyster-bed study in Hackensack River
    June 15, 2010: The Record: Oysters barred , A great editorial by the staff of The Bergen Record
    July 15, 2010: State DEP issues violation over experimental oyster reefs
    July 17, 2010: Tale of the oysters , Another editorial
    July 18, 2010: Oyster reef will be removed

South Berganite:
    June 24, 2010: Oysters will remain in Hackensack until directive orders them pulled

The Princeton Packet:
    June 28, 2010: NJDEP plan threatens oyster beds

BLOGS & Online

NJ Newsroom.com:
    June 7, 2010: N.J. DEP bans shellfish gardening in Jersey Waters

Food in America:
    June 11, 2010: NJ Shellfish Industry Wants to have its Cake and Eat it Too

Reuters:
    June 10, 2010: New Jersey's Crazy War on Oysters

Boingboing:
    June 14, 2010: New Jersey kills successful oyster-based anti-pollution projects

ScapeStudio:
    June 9, 2010: Shellfish Smackdown: NJ vs MD: This short blurb points out that the state agency and government in Maryland is taking the exact opposite stance to NJ. They are supportive of restoration, research, and are actively working to reduce pollutant loads to the Chesapeake Bay. Why isn't the Hudson-Raritan Estuary worthy of this support???

Wolfenotes.com:
    July 14, 2010: FDA Says NJ Shellfish Program Does Not Meet Food Safety Standards
    July 15, 2010: Bad Day for DEP: Attack on Shellfish Program

CommonDreams.org:
    July 19, 2010: FDA Threatens to Ban New Jersey Shellfish Sales Press release from Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER) regarding communication between FDA and NJDEP Comissioner Bob Martin

NJ Spotlight:
    July 16, 2010: Opinion: The New DEP Policy--Making a Battlefield Out of Shellfish Gardens?

Aberdeen NJ Life:
    July 16, 2010: Christie cuts force end to Baykeeper Oyster Restoration Project

Press of Atlantic City:
    July 19, 2010: Oversight of New Jersey's shellfish industry lacking, group finds

TELEVISION

NBC News : Video embedded "Oyster Rebirth About to End in NJ"

NBC News 40 : South Jersey ALS comments, video link

News 12 NJ : Video link titled "DEP is Shutting Down Oyster Bed Restoration Programs in NJ" under "Top News Videos"

RADIO

NPR "As it Happens"

WHYY Radio Philadelphia

Default baykeeper in the news

from NJN

That is a shame that the selfish actions of a few have to ruin it for everyone else. Politics also plays a big part, the S Jersey shellfish lobby is strong.

Default NJ bureaucracy and special interests take over

They sent me an e-mail telling me they finally removed all the oysters. That's too bad, considering that NY doesn't seem to have the same issues with "oyster contamination". I wonder why that is?

Oyster Program Update

On Monday August 9, 2010, volunteers and SCUBA divers removed the 50,000 oysters from Baykeeper's Keyport Experimental Reef Project in order to comply with an order from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. A fleet of boats, including a rented vessel from Miller's Launch of Staten Island, a wooden workboat from Pedersen's Marina, Hackensack Riverkeeper's Pontoon boat, Raritan Riverkeeper's personal watercraft, as well as NY/NJ Baykeeper's patrol boat and oyster skiff, assisted with the removal.

SCUBA divers worked to detach the oyster bags from the rebar structures and volunteers in the water carried the detached bags to the Miller's Launch work boat. Volunteers on the work boat helped to organize and keep track of how many bags were removed from the reef. Additionally, reef balls were removed from their plots and loaded onto the Miller's Launch work boat where volunteers collected data on the growth, mortality, and species assemblages on each ball.

The bags of oysters were transferred to a tank inside of the Marine Academy of Science and Technology Laboratory on Sandy Hook on a temporary basis while we awaited a decision from the NJDEP on whether any of our proposed relocation sites within the Hudson-Raritan Estuary would be approved. NJDEP did not approve our sites and the oysters were disposed of as solid waste as directed by NJDEP.
    Our proposal to assess the viability of future research and restoration work at the Earle Naval Pier is currently with NJDEP. We believe this represents a good faith effort on our part to seek a compremise that allows this important work to continue in the Hudson-Raritan Estuary. We thank Senator Joe Kyrillos for assisting us with forwarding that proposal.
    A special thanks to all of you who wrote letters, signed petitions, volunteered and supported our efforts. We are hopeful that we have found a pathway to continue our oyster work in New Jersey, but we still have a long way to go towards cleaning up our waterways to ensure that limitations on important research and restoration work are not in place. Please write your public officials and newspapers to ask that steps be taken to improve water quality in the Hudson-Raritan Estuary so we reach our fishable and swimmable goal.

Recent news coverage:

Oyster bed pulled from Raritan Bay

NJ Oyster Bed Restoration Project Being Removed

New Jersey Halts Oyster Restoration Project

Environmental Group Pulls Up Oysters in Jersey

Death of an Oyster (or 50,000) in New York Harbor

Baykeeper to remove, destroy oysters from Raritan Bay

NJ oyster bed restoration project removed

Oyster Bed Controversy

State orders environmental group to remove experimental oyster project in Raritan Bay

N.J. nonprofit group removes all experimental oyster beds from contaminated waters

5 New Oyster Reefs!

Baykeeper is poised to build 5 new oyster reefs for a multi-partnered, 'Oyster Restoration Research Project' in New York.

Learn more about this important project, shellfish policies in NY & NJ, and oyster gardening, in the summer issue of The Tidal Exchange: A Special Issue Dedicated to the Eastern Oyster.