Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post

From a patients perspective, I'm not dead yet, stop acting like you're at a funeral or a wake. If I need help and you're a good friend I'll probably ask for it. Don't feed me some bs like "if I need anything call" if you don't mean it. As I said before i always hated hearing the words "sorry to hear that".
Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
That's the first thing I usually say when I know someone is in trouble. Thanks for straightening those issues out. I would never have known that.
Look, I march to a slightly different beat. Some people like being stroked and coddled. I'm not one of them. I let my sister in law cook for me while i was getting my treatments. All her kids were away at school so i think it did her more good than it did me. She needed someone to take care of and staying with them was convenient for me as the clinics were right around the corner. Six weeks of that and we got to know each other a little better. just kidding

My mother wanted to help. I stayed with her a week and went nuts. She meant well, but she doesn't understand the meaning of the word no. No, I'm not hungry. No I don't want any more food. Please don't hover over me, etc. I don't want to sound like an ingrate, but i just can't handle the constant attention.

As far as the help, i've been let down in the past. I seldom ask anyone for help, so if you tell me you'll be there, don't be shining me on. A few acquaintances offered help, I called on one or two and they were there when i needed them.

As far as the "sorry to hear that" I suppose it's the right thing to say, but it just bugs the hell out of me