Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quit smoking and win a plug!!!

Default Quit smoking and win a plug!!!

OK, so you thought about it, and just haven't done it yet.

You know you need to quit smoking, paying $7/ a pack is cuttiing into your fishin money, and the gobs of phleghm you're hacking up in the morning is starting to get old.

For a limited time, any contributing members with 100 posts or more who can post up and tell me that you have quit smoking for 6 months, will win a plug.

As an incentive, if you can make it to a year without cigarettes, I'll send ya 2 more plugs on your anniversary quit date.

You don't have to prove it to me, we're on the honor system here. Just post up that you have quit for 6 months, and maybe tell us a little about how it is, if ya feel like it.

It's like quitting alcohol or drugs. If you go to a meeting and tell people you are sober when you are still using, the only one you're foolin is yourself.

So give it a shot, ya got nothing to lose but cancer!!

We also have a thread here called the Cancer Thread, filled with new progress and articles about Cancer...
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-and-detection
    Take a look when you get a chance.

Default The effects of cigarette smoking

I can't endorse this stopsmokingonline site because I don't know anything about the site, but I did find the info here. Ya gotta start somewhere, right?

I also know a few people who have had mild heart attacks, and they're all smokers. Guys in their 30's and 40's, some of them fishin buddies, and the common denominator is that they all smoke. Coincidence?

stopsmokingonlinetoday.com/.../

Every year smoking kills more people then AIDS, traffic accidents, suicide, murder, fires and accidental poisoning combined. Considering all the harmful health effects of smoking, it’s hard to believe more people don’t try to stop.

What are the Short Term Effects?
    Most people know the long term effects of smoking include lung cancer, emphysema, cardiovascular diseases and premature ageing. While these can be devastating many people don’t worry about them because they don’t seem like an immediate threat. It’s important to understand in the short term smoking cigarettes can be every bit as dangerous. The following are 6 of the most dangerous short term side effects of smoking:
    • Increased blood pressure
    • Increased heart rate
    • Narrowing of the arteries
    • Reduced amount of oxygen the blood can carry
    • Carbon monoxide levels in the blood rise
    • Creates an imbalance in the demand for oxygen by the cells

What Are Long Term Effects?

Here is a list of harmful health effects smoking can have throughout one’s life:
    • Cancers
    • Lung diseases
    • Heart disease
    • Cardiovascular diseases
    • Stroke
    • Osteoporosis and weakened bones
    • Circulatory problems
    • Ulcers
    • Premature aging
    • Damage to the fetus
    • Low sperm count and impotence
    • Spontaneous abortion (miscarriage)
    • Decreased lung function
    • Bronchitis
    • Infections
    • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
    Let’s look at a few of these more closely:

Cancers
    Most people are aware of the dangers of lung cancer, and according to the Surgeon General 90% of cases of lung cancer deaths in men are caused by smoking, and about 80% in women. Smoking is also the cause of the vast majority of cancers of the mouth, larynx, esophagus and bladder. It also causes cancers of the kidney, cervix, stomach and pancreas. 30% of all cancer deaths in the USA are caused by smoking.

Lung Diseases

Lung Damage Due To Smoking (healthy lung on left)
    In addition to cancer, there are several other bad effects on the lungs. The Surgeon General has reported that chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, mainly Bronchitis, pneumonia and emphysema, resulted in up to 118,000 deaths annually in the USA, 90% of which were attributable to smoking. Smokers of either sex were at least 12 times more likely to die of a pulmonary disease than non smokers.

Cardiovascular Diseases
    Almost 35% of smoking related deaths are due to diseases of the arteries and heart. A smoker has 2 - 4 times the chance of developing chronic heart disease than a non-smoker. In fact, as a smoker, you are more likely to die from heart disease than from cancer.

Smoking and the Fetus
    Smoking during pregnancy can be disastrous to the unborn baby. The carbon monoxide in a two pack a day habit restricts the oxygen supply to the developing fetus by 60%. This results in stunted growth and lack of development, and can even cause premature births and stillborn children.

Smoking and Children
    It was already stated that pregnant women shouldn’t smoke. However, it should also be avoided throughout the child’s life. Chemicals from the mother can be passed to young babies while breastfeeding. Nicotine levels in breastfed babies among mothers who smoked have been found to be 10 times higher than from non-smoking mothers. Also, 80% of all smokers started when they were teenagers. While many times this is due to psychological issues such as peer pressure and self esteem, often times they develop the habit from mom and dad.

Sperm Count and Impotence
    Several bodies have reported that smoking can reduce the sperm count, and also render men impotent. A report by the BBC in the UK has stated that smokers are twice as likely to suffer from erectile dysfunction than non-smokers, and this has been confirmed by many medical bodies. Smoking causes atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries feeding the penis, and the nicotine also constricts the smaller blood vessels leading to impotence.

Premature Aging
    The New Scientist has reported that a study in Nagoya City University in Japan has found that smoking leads to an increase in an enzyme that breaks down skin, and also a reduction of up to 40% in the production of the collagen needed to renew skin. The result is people start showing premature physical signs of aging of the skin and the excessive formation of wrinkles. In addition to these, more of your brain cells die the longer you smoke, and brain function can be reduced. You can also suffer strokes due to constrictions in the blood vessels supplying the brain.

Conclusion
    Needless to say the effects of smoking and tobacco are disastrous. According to the American Heart Association, non-smokers live on average about 14 years longer than smokers. If you are a smoker and you want to live a longer, healthier life; you should seriously consider quitting as soon as possible.

RECOMMENDED STOP SMOKING RESOURCES

Related Articles

Why Pregnant Women Need To Quit Smoking
    Smoking and pregnancy do not mix. There are many risks you take everyday you smoke, but when you smoke while pregnant you are taking unnecessary chances with your child’s life.
    Pictures of Lung Cancer
    With millions of people smoking cigarettes everyday in spite of all the side effects and health risks, it is apparent that it might take something more powerful to help deter them from smoking. Here are some very disturbing images that might make a person think twice before the next time they light up.
    Quitting Smoking Improves The Health of Others
    When people chose to take their own lives into their hands that is one thing. Innocent bystanders are constantly being put at risk due to those who smoke around them.
    The Real Cost of Smoking
    While many only consider the cost of cigarettes when thinking of how expensive it is to smoke, in reality the cost extends way beyond that. There are many things to take into account when trying to come up with what the actual true cost is.
    Reasons to Quit Smoking
    Quitting smoking is one of the best decisions a person can make for themselves. It will improve their health for years to come and also give them a sense of accomplishment.
    Quitting Smoking Improves Your Health
    When a person makes the choice to quit smoking, their bodies almost immediately begin the process of reversing some of the negative side effects.
    Why Is It Harder For Teens To Quit Smoking?
    Teenagers can be extremely susceptible to peer pressure. Many times they pick up bad habits which can last a lifetime. Smoking is no exception. Find out why smoking is so hard for teenagers to quit.
    Why Do People Gain Weight When They Quit Smoking?
    Many people who are trying to quick smoking are concerned about the possibility of weight gain. While this is a real concern for many people, it’s important to consider it isn’t a foregone conclusion. You can prevent it.
    How Long Does Nicotine Stay in Your System?
    The length of time nicotine stays in the body depends on how much is used, and whether that use is on a consistent daily basis or just socially. Find out more today!

Default Delicious pics

If that's not enough to convince ya to start reading and learning for yourself, I thought I'd throw up a few pics for ya's:

stopsmokingonlinetoday.com/.../

Images of Lung Cancer

Squamous Cell Carcinoma of The Lung

Cancerous Lung
    X-Ray Showing Lung Cancer

Image Showing Cancer of the Lung

Compare The Two Side by Side

Lung Cancer

Incision from having Cancerous Lung Removed

I quit smoking Sept. 1975. Do I win?

That would mean you're coming up on your 34th anniversary in Sept?

Sure I'll be glad to send ya something, I can send a saltwater plug, pencil poppers, Danny style swimmers, mid range divers, etc...BIG wood or tsunami plastic plugs, heavy duty large saltwater Rat-L-Traps....take your choice.

or.... I have a whole bunch of rubber shads, small rubber baits, rubber crayfish and worms, plenty of them, and some freshwater lures, and bags of small lead jigs with the rubber attached already.

I got a whole smorgasbord for people who can quit smoking, man, so pick out a coupla things that interest ya, PM me what ya want, and I'll send them down your way.

Congrats on the soon to be 34 years. Hasn't it been hard at times, especially when you were most stressed out?

What did you do instead of reaching for a cigarette? What kept you from smoking all those years, and not saying eff it all, and restarting?

If a year is two plugs then DS owes you 68 plugs.

Good Score!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    As an incentive, if you can make it to a year without cigarettes, I'll send ya 2 more plugs on your anniversary quit date.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    If a year is two plugs then DS owes you 68 plugs.

Good Score!

Somehow I don't see where I stated or implied that there, bro.

Still waiting on those youtube links to check out your band back in the day. Cmon man post em up! How bad can they be?

I was just thinking retroactively.

I have to find the tape first. That will be the hard part. Then transfer it to digital somehow. It ain't a bad tape. Actually I look damn good in it.

If you can make a VHS copy of it, I can try to digitize it. I'm on a tape that was made back in the 80's, called NJ hardGore. Only problem is the same problem you have, converting the VHS to digital.

I bought a VCR a while ago that's supposed to copy VHS tapes to DVD, but never opened the box. If I had a mission to do it for someone else, it might motivate me to do mine.

What did you do instead of reaching for a cigarette?
    bongs

Default Quit smoking and win a plug! Re-visited for 2011

As an incentive, if you can make it to a year without cigarettes, I'll send ya a plug on your anniversary quit date.

You don't have to prove it to me, we're on the honor system here. Just post up that you have quit, and post here a year from now... and maybe tell us a little about how it is, if ya feel like it.

It's like quitting alcohol or drugs. If you go to a meeting and tell people you are sober when you are still using, the only one you're foolin is yourself.

Hey people, it has been a while since this promo was run. Technically it has expired, for I'm extending it for 2011. Quitting smoking is THAT important.

To collect a plug, members with 100 posts or more:
    1. Post here that you have quit smoking for 2011.
    2. Post one year from now that you are still celebrating life as a non-smoker.
    3. I'll gladly send ya a plug!

This is not targeted towards any members in particular, but I'm reminding Speedy, Rip, and Cardoc that I would be happy to see them quit this year!

You guys are important to many people in your lives. It would be tragic to have any of ya's die of cancer.

Think about it please, you googans!

And Jon, I can't remember if I ever sent ya those plugs, if not contact me and I'll get them down to ya!

Can I have a brother join in even though he's not into fishing. I sure could use a new plug?

Why 100 posts, Darkskies?

Jon, humblest apologies for my screw-up there. Send me your mailing address, let me know the size of plugs ya want, either salt or fresh, and I'll send ya some.

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    Why 100 posts, Darkskies?
    Porgy, it's an arbitrary # I picked out. You have different groups on websites, lurkers, people who contribute frequently, and those in between. Some people only post here when they have an agenda to promote, I see that all the time. And that's fine, that's their choice. There are no specific posting requirements to be a member here.

Look at other online sites and see who posts in the freebies and giveaway threads. Many are contributing members, but a good many more are guys who never think of contributing and are the first ones with their hands out when something is given away.

I try to stay away from that kind of selfish mentality here, hence the 100 post requirement. I hope this explained things a bit for you. In any event, you have well over 100 posts. Thanks for your contributions to this site.

If you know anyone in your family or group of friends who wants to quit smoking, feel free to PM me at any time and I will send you as many self-help resources as I can find. That goes for you as well Hookset, and any other members know someone quitting smoking, or want to quit themselves.

There are others here who answer 3 or 4 threads at a time, and help to make this community the laid-back and helpful place that it has become. Just wanted to thank all of those who help make this the happy place that it is, and don't clutter up my responsibilities with the need to moderate disputes. Relatively speaking, you are all well behaved and civil toward each other, and I greatly appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Can I have a brother join in even though he's not into fishing. I sure could use a new plug?
    Hookset, I would love to be able to encourage the whole world to quit smoking. I would also like to cure world hunger and poverty, but for some reason I just don't have the dough that Bill Gates has.

So, on my limited budget, this is the best I can do. If I can get one member here to give up smoking (without nagging them too much) maybe that would prevent them from getting cancer down the road.

And, since those insane googans Cardoc, Rip, and Speedy all smoke like chimneys, I thought this post might eventually be some positive reinforcement for them to quit.

(I'm not sure, but I think Surfwalker may be a smoker as well, so I'll include him here in this good-natured ball-busting. Apologies if I'm wrong on this.)

No one can make you quit something, be it drugs, alcohol, go-go bar addiction, overeating, or smoking. You have to want it. Someone nagging you about it won't make any difference at all, unless it causes you one day to finally make up your own mind to quit. But it has to be your choice or you won't stick with it.

So, ball busting aside, I love those goofy googans! They make me laugh on days when I'm down. For selfish reasons maybe I want them around for my amusement.

Also, I have a hunch that their families may want them around too.

Pebbles and I have seen too many people in our families and friends die of cancer in the last few years. It's truly painful to watch someone lose their strength, wither away slowly, and die the painful death that cancer usually brings to its victims. Any "subtle manipulation" I can use to encourage people to quit smoking is worthwhile to me.

In the end, the prize is not the plug that I would give them,,,,that's only a small token.
    But...if that small token is the impetus for them to make a decision to finally quit, so be it. The real prize is reducing your cancer risk and being around for friends and loved ones to enjoy your company. To me, that's priceless.

My cousin died from lung cancer. He was a smoker. Before the cancer we used to spend a lot of time in the outdoors together. Cancer turned him into a shell of who he once was. If any of you folks are thinking of quitting, there is no time like the present. Good thread, darkskies.

Yeah, it killed my Dad. Well that and the alcohol. Age 67, back in 1986.

I still miss my dad.

Killed my sister, age 48.

Believe it or not, one of the books I sell is about how to quit smoking.

I also send out a series of emails with free tips on how to quit in them. It's pretty cool.

Free Stop Smoking Tips

This is not targeted towards any members in particular, but I'm reminding Speedy, Rip, and Cardoc that I would be happy to see them quit this year!

You guys are important to many people in your lives. It would be tragic to have any of ya's die of cancer.

Think about it please, you googans!

Hey I'll be the first to bust out the news. Cardoc and Rip have quit smoking and are on the 3rd day already.

So proud of you mooks!

For 2 goofy googans, yer doin great so far.
    Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast