Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunker boats: an up close look - who are they, where do they come from?

Hybrid View

Default 4 miles of dead bass

The 5 out of state bunker BAIT boats that worked Manasquan and north left a trail of dead bass which was over 4 miles long. Bass were in the bunker nets and were not scooped with a net like the bunker but gaffed and thrown over to die. This is how they make a statement since they can't net bass in NJ waters to keep as a bye catch.
    Yes its perfectly legal as they can't keep them but they don't need to kill them either.they could scoop and release them,the scoops they off load bunker with are about 3 feet round.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    The 5 bunker BAIT boats that worked Manasquan and north left a trail of dead bass which was over 4 miles long. Bass were in the bunker nets and were not scooped with a net like the bunker but gaffed and thrown over to die. This is how they make a statement to keep bass as a bye catch.
    Yes its perfectly legal as they can't keep them but they don't need to kill them either.
    some one should gaff them and throw them over
    and this is legal that not right

fin did you get pics i have a freind high up the rope game warden

Seriously, do we expect anything different now a days?
    Every day I am amazed at how low the people in this country are.
    I am thoroughly disgusted with this country.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default Makes me sick

I'm not surprised in the least at the arrogance and defiance of the me people that are out there. Because it's legal doesn't make it right. It's becoming more evident that these people are just out for themselves and have no conscience. Ignorance also contributes to downsizing of a species. Makes me sick.

From a charter friend of mine,as he repoerted today on another site.

Short report because we are all very pissed at what these out of state bunker netters are doing to our resources while degrading water quality. They are out of control and are now using an offshore reduction vessel. Word has it they killed a right whale on thursday and hundreds of trophy bass daily that are considered by catch.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Angry pissed off

From a charter friend of mine,as he repoerted today on another site.

Short report because we are all very pissed at what these out of state bunker netters are doing to our resources while degrading water quality. They are out of control and are now using an offshore reduction vessel. Word has it they killed a right whale on thursday and hundreds of trophy bass daily that are considered by catch.
    if i had my way some c4 wood find there boat ooopps it is very upsetting that they let them do this

The 5 out of state bunker BAIT boats that worked Manasquan and north left a trail of dead bass which was over 4 miles long. Bass were in the bunker nets and were not scooped with a net like the bunker but gaffed and thrown over to die. This is how they make a statement since they can't net bass in NJ waters to keep as a bye catch.
    Yes its perfectly legal as they can't keep them but they don't need to kill them either.they could scoop and release them,the scoops they off load bunker with are about 3 feet round.
    fin just got off the phone with my freind from fish&game he sad he needs to see pic he said they are c&r only not killed that is what he is telling me they can be thrown over not killed

As much as it sucks they are only interested in what they are making a living on. Soon they will not have a reason to get the bunker.

This is how they make a statement since they can't net bass in NJ waters to keep as a bye catch.
    It almost seems like they are giving a big to state officials?

This was in today's Asbury Park Press. They can't get herring so they are scooping up all the bunker. Contact your legislator and tell them you support the A2304/S1130 bills.

http://www.app.com/article/20100604/...bus-amendments

On bunker boats and omnibus amendments

By JOHN OSWALD ?€? STAFF COLUMNIST ?€? June 4, 2010
    While many anglers thought the bunker boats that once plied New Jersey waters were a thing of the past, they're back. This time the boats are after the bunker for bait and not for the purpose of fish meal, cat food, fertilizer and the other products the reduction boats provided.

"These are bait boats, not reduction boats, so we're not seeing the massive, mechanized depletion of our coastal bunker stocks for the purpose of reduction," said Jim Donofrio, RFA's Executive Director.

Thanks for all the informative postings on this guys. The link to the original bunker bill info is this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=5151

Anyone who is mad as hell about this, that's a good thing. Take that anger and use it to send letters to your legislators.

Contact the RFA, get included in their newsletters through an e-mail sign up, and keep yourselves informed.

This will not be resolved with rhetoric on the internet.

As Capt Adam has said, there are bills in the works, but they're not completed yet. These guys need our support. There is still a danger that they won't be passed.

All for the price of a $70-200 yearly permit, these out-of state boats can come into our NJ waters and net all the bunker they want. If this doesn't seem unfair to you folks out there, I don't know what would be more unfair.

Use your outrage to get involved.
    Become part of the solution not the problem.
    Many hands and voices are needed, make yours count today.

Default Bye Bye Bunker

The thread below, originally posted by Finchaser, illustrates how the "big guys" Omega Protein get things done, by generous campaign contributions to the key legislators in their districts.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=5839

The one benefit here is that the majority of the bunker boats that were gathering bunker off NJ were independents. Sure there were ones allegedly connected to Omega, and the Omega boat was allegedly offshore beyond 3 miles. (Still waiting for photo evidence of that).

For the most part, these are single boats coming in from other states because they can't get herring. They use the argument that they have to feed their families, this is what they must do. I feel bad that they have the herring resource taken away from them, but not bad enough to give them carte blanche to net all our bunker.

There is no sense of "selective netting" with these guys, they net all the bunker (and "bass bycatch" under them) until the bunker are gone.

The fish move on when this happens, they don't wait around for new pods of bunker to come up the coast.

That's why right now the majority of striped bass are following their northern migration in search of cooler water and larger bait.

The bunker are the key, though. Ask H Bruce Franklin, who wrote "The Most Important Fish in the Sea". The bunker that were here would have held the bass in the ocean for at least another few weeks until the ocean temps pushed those fish north. We all should be outraged about that.

Marinas, coffee shops, B&T shops, and others that were dependent on a robust striped bass fishery will suffer as less fishermen will be out there.

Part of me sees a benefit in this, as I feel those fish have been hammered all along the Eastern Coast this year, and it seems the numbers of big bass are slightly down at each place they visit.

But that's for another thread...the focus here is to help the PACs like the RFA and others who represent us to get these bills passed.

The bunker in NJ state waters should stay in NJ waters until it moves off on it's own. NY years ago enacted some of the strictest regulations for bunker netters, and doesn't have half the problems with bunker netters that we have.

It's time for NJ legislators to get tough with these netters, and demand a closer look at the tenuous relationships between bunker netters and out of state corporations.

We as fishermen deserve at least that, but we won't get that handed to us. We have to fight for it.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this spurs you on to at least write a letter or join the RFA.

www.joinRFA.org

Default Van Drew bill S-1140

Some info, on S1140

Thursday, June 03, 2010

VAN DREW BILL TO PROTECT COMMERCIAL, RECREATIONAL FISHING CLEARS COMMITEE

Legislation Would Restrict Harvest of Local Bait Fish

TRENTON – Legislation sponsored by Senator Jeff Van Drew (D-Cape May/Cumberland/Atlantic) that would protect commercial and recreational fishing in New Jersey was approved today by the Senate Environment and Energy Committee.

The bill (S-1140) would limit the issuance of permits for the commercial fishing of menhaden, a popular bait fish, beginning in 2011.

The measure was crafted to protect New Jersey from an influx of commercial fishermen from New England looking to harvest menhaden for lobster bait, as a result of a federal restriction on the amount of herring that can be used for that purpose.

“This legislation would restrict menhaden harvesting to historical levels, and prevent our waterways from becoming overrun by commercial fishermen from up and down New England’s coast,” said Senator Van Drew. “This is about protecting our commercial fishing industry, but also about ensuring our recreational fishermen have the ability to cast a line in open waters.”

Menhaden is used for bait by commercial fisheries but also is a major food source for striped bass, a top recreational catch in New Jersey. Van Drew noted that commercial and recreational fishermen in New Jersey waters cooperate and said a deluge of out-of-state commercial fishermen could pose a conflict.

Beginning in 2011, the bill would require the Environmental Protection commissioner to restrict the licenses issued for commercial menhaden fishing to people who had a valid license for at least one of the years from 2002 to 2009, and possessed a valid license in the preceding year.

The measure would also limit the size of replacement vessels for commercial fishing, requiring that no new vessel used to harvest menhaden could be greater than 10 percent larger in length, gross registered tonnage or net tonnage; a replacement vessel also could be no more than 20 percent greater in horsepower than the vessel that qualified for a license in 2010.

Additionally, no vessel used to harvest menhaden commercially could be greater than 90 feet in length, and any that did not fit the requirement would have to be retired.

The bill now heads to the full Senate.

Default Fishing Column: Bait bill moves forward

Fishing Column: Bait bill moves forward

By JOHN OSWALD • STAFF WRITER • June 7, 2010

A New Jersey Senate bill that would limit permits for the commercial fishing for mossbunker has been approved by the Senate Environment and Energy Committee and will now move on to a full senate vote.

The legislation was crafted to protect New Jersey from an influx of commercial fishermen from New England looking to harvest the popular baitfish. The appearance of these boats in state waters, more noticable in recent weeks due to the thick bunker schools, is a result of federal restrictions on the amount of herring normally harvested for bait.

Sponsored by Senator Jeff Van Drew (D-District 1) the bill would protect commercial and recreational fishing in the state.
    "This legislation would restrict menhaden harvesting to historical levels, and prevent our waterways from becoming overrun by commercial fishermen from up and down New England's coast," Senator Van Drew said. "This is about protecting our commercial fishing industry, but also about ensuring our recreational fishermen have the ability to cast a line in open waters."

Beginning in 2011, the bill would require the Environmental Protection commissioner to restrict the licenses issued for commercial menhaden fishing to people who had a valid license for at least one of the years from 2002 to 2009, and possessed a valid license in the preceding year.

The measure would also limit the size of replacement vessels for commercial fishing, requiring that no new vessel used to harvest menhaden could be greater than 10 percent larger in length, gross registered tonnage or net tonnage; a replacement vessel also could be no more than 20 percent greater in horsepower than the vessel that qualified for a license in 2010.

The Assembly version of this bill, A2304, was unanimously passed in March, and once S1140 passes in the Senate, all that remains is for Gov. Christie to sign it into law.

http://www.app.com/article/20100607/...-moves-forward

Default Why letter writing isn't always effective...

There are some internet sites out there now where the members are urging other members to write letters, and the belief that this will get some results.

First of all, let me say I applaud those guys who took the initiative to think of that. They're actually trying to effect a positive change instead of just ranting on the internet.

However, there are times when letter writing campaigns and e-mails are just not effective. I believe the politicians have gotten smart about the increased e-mail volume, and are now responding with "template responses" without even reading the context of the letters that are being sent to them.

The post below is a small illustration of this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...wreply&p=29288

That's why I feel we need to put more support into fishermen PACs like the RFA and others. We need some muscle behind our words and sentiments. The PACS are in a position to achieve results, and they will not tolerate being ignored by politicians

Default Some dollar and sense estimates...

Here's a post I put up on another site, I think it helps to put things into perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I have some tentative numbers for you guys to help put it into perspective...

(please be aware that all these numbers are mere estimates to help people understand the magnitude. Some assumptions were made in these calculations and I'm not looking for anyone to take these as Gospel. Do your own research and learn about this. Anyone who has more accurate numbers is welcome to post theirs, and I will be glad to edit mine)

It was reported that in the last few days, approx 31 million lbs of bunker were netted.

That's 31 million pounds.

Just for the sake of argument, assume that each bunker boat (there were 8) split the take, each bunker weighed 1lb, and the netters were paid .05c/lb for each bunker. Again, I know I'm simplifying this and there may be inaccuracies in these calculations. I'm just trying to illustrate a point....

31million x .05c/lb = approx $1.55 million in value at the wholesale level.
    If you distribute this "total" among the approx 8 boats, that gives them gross revenue of approx $187k/vessel, all for a few day's work.

Again, even if these numbers are not completely accurate, consider their cost of doing business in the state of NJ

1. Cost for bunker permit for each boat, $70-500/boat, according to statute.
    2. Cost of fuel to come down to NJ.
    3. Cost of labor and lodging for crewmates.
    4. Cost of spotter planes.

Probably less than $100 k for all those out of state boats to be here, and less than $5600 in permit fees to the state of NJ.

So...
    for the measly price of less than $5600 in yearly permit fees,,, (for all of the 8 boats)
    these boats get carte blanche to take as many bunker as they can, with as many visits as they can manage, to NJ.

Meanwhile, we as a state:
    1. Lose revenue from fishermen who aren't fishing, as there are now less striped bass, with less bunker around.
    2. The bass don't have a reason to stick around, and many are now North of us, so we have an opportunity loss there.
    3. Loss of revenue - to marinas, gas stations, delis, tackle shops, charter captains, who will make a percentage less this year than they did last year...

All because we allow other states to come in and net our bunker.

As I said, some may find fault with some of the points I made here. I threw this together in a hurry, I'm not claiming 100% accuracy.

However, I do claim that not having these bunker for our NJ recreational fishermen represents a huge economic loss to many ancillary parties.

That's the part I would like you fishermen and fisherwomen to key in on, and the part where you should be mad as hell.

Default Menhaden bill becomes law

They finally passed it. I really don't see where it is going to make much of a difference, but maybe I'm wrong.

Menhaden Bill Becomes Law

Belmar, NJ 9/15/2010September 15, 2010 - Governor Chris Christie Takes Action on Legislation
    Immediate Release

Belmar, NJ 9/15/2010
    September 15, 2010 - Governor Chris Christie Takes Action on Legislation

A bill supported by the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance, that revises statute concerning licenses to take menhaden (A-2304/S-1140), was signed into law by Governor Christie yesterday.
    “This law is a beginning in the effort to reduce the negative impact on the environment and recreational fishing,” said Anthony Mauro, Chairman, New Jersey Outdoor Alliance. He continued, “This bill had the unanimous support of the 22 member council of the NJOA Conservation Foundation. We look forward to monitoring the impact of the new law and, if necessary, pursuing remedial measures.”

The bill provides that the Commissioner of Environmental Protection may only issue a license for a person to take menhaden with purse or shirred nets if that person possessed a valid license for at least one of the years between 2002 through and including 2009, and commencing in 2011, the commissioner may only issue a license to a person to take menhaden who (1) possessed a valid license for at least one of the years between 2002 through and including 2009, and (2) possessed a valid license in the preceding year.
    The bill also provides criteria for the replacement and retiring of vessels used to take menhaden with purse or shirred nets. Lastly, the bill provides that the Commissioner of Environmental Protection will regulate the taking of menhaden, including the issuance and transfer of licenses for the taking of menhaden.

Default Bunker boats: an up close look - who are they, where do they come from?

bunker boats:
    Where are they netting?
    Who are they?
    Where do they come from?
    Who are they affiliated with?
    Who do they sell their catch to?
    Do they operate under any restrictions?

These and all related questions are acceptable topics for this thread.

Feel free to post up all observations of bunker boats you see on a daily basis, here.

Default Disclaimer

I want to state at the outset that these guys are all allowed to do what they're doing.

They all have the appropriate permits, which they've paid the state of NJ anywhere from $20-$700 for unlimited access to our bunker.

They aren't breaking any laws.

No matter how strongly your feelings may be against them and the netting they do, remember they have followed the regulations, and are permitted to to this by our elected officials and bureaucrats.

This thread is merely an attempt to document their whereabouts.

We have a constitutional right to know who from out of state is coming into our state, netting our fish, and sending them to other places.

We have a constitutional right to know who's being greedy and scooping up every last bunker, so our NJ fishermen have nothing left to fish for when the bass leave as there no bunker to hold them.

I shot some footage today.

Nothing spectacular, just a bunker boat going about it's business.

I think we have a right to know who are these guys in our waters.

Feel free to post up anything on this topic, pics, catch estimates, videos, any official communications regarding these netters, etc. Boat names, owners, corporate ownership (if any) would all be great info to post up, if you have access to it.

I don't feel the proposed legislation will stop the out of state netters who are already coming in. I came up with the idea for this thread to raise public awareness when we get to the next level, next year. People will begin to undertand the current proposed legislation has too many loopholes and doesn't give us the protections they think it will.

I'll post the videos, and some more pics, as I get a chance.

Thanks for any help you guys can give to keep this going.

after talking to the guys i see and talk to on a daily basis here is what I know.

A lot of the bunker boats invading us right now are not even from our area. The belford pirates and other local boats are doing thier normal thing. Some from down south have gone a bit crazy. However further north meaning north of NY they have been closed down to being able to fish for herring as a means of bait fish and other needs such as cat food and stuff. So, those boats instead of tying up and not making money have been making the trip down here. They stay for a few days netting all kinds of bunker and then head back north. They unload and plan another trip back here. It is true that in their catches they are netting any fish that are feeding on the bunker and not releasing them properly.

So, here in NJ we now have almost double the amount of bunker boats than we are used to. Who is governing them is beyond me. But there are captains getting together to find out why this is happening and how it can be governed. They are ticked off about it because it is killing the fishery and will leave us with nothing to fish for in the coming years. They know it has to be stopped and are working on a plan to try and make it happen.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast