Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bunker boats: an up close look - who are they, where do they come from?

Default 4 miles of dead bass

The 5 out of state bunker BAIT boats that worked Manasquan and north left a trail of dead bass which was over 4 miles long. Bass were in the bunker nets and were not scooped with a net like the bunker but gaffed and thrown over to die. This is how they make a statement since they can't net bass in NJ waters to keep as a bye catch.
    Yes its perfectly legal as they can't keep them but they don't need to kill them either.they could scoop and release them,the scoops they off load bunker with are about 3 feet round.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    The 5 bunker BAIT boats that worked Manasquan and north left a trail of dead bass which was over 4 miles long. Bass were in the bunker nets and were not scooped with a net like the bunker but gaffed and thrown over to die. This is how they make a statement to keep bass as a bye catch.
    Yes its perfectly legal as they can't keep them but they don't need to kill them either.
    some one should gaff them and throw them over
    and this is legal that not right

fin did you get pics i have a freind high up the rope game warden

Seriously, do we expect anything different now a days?
    Every day I am amazed at how low the people in this country are.
    I am thoroughly disgusted with this country.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default Makes me sick

I'm not surprised in the least at the arrogance and defiance of the me people that are out there. Because it's legal doesn't make it right. It's becoming more evident that these people are just out for themselves and have no conscience. Ignorance also contributes to downsizing of a species. Makes me sick.

From a charter friend of mine,as he repoerted today on another site.

Short report because we are all very pissed at what these out of state bunker netters are doing to our resources while degrading water quality. They are out of control and are now using an offshore reduction vessel. Word has it they killed a right whale on thursday and hundreds of trophy bass daily that are considered by catch.

Angry pissed off

From a charter friend of mine,as he repoerted today on another site.

Short report because we are all very pissed at what these out of state bunker netters are doing to our resources while degrading water quality. They are out of control and are now using an offshore reduction vessel. Word has it they killed a right whale on thursday and hundreds of trophy bass daily that are considered by catch.
    if i had my way some c4 wood find there boat ooopps it is very upsetting that they let them do this

The 5 out of state bunker BAIT boats that worked Manasquan and north left a trail of dead bass which was over 4 miles long. Bass were in the bunker nets and were not scooped with a net like the bunker but gaffed and thrown over to die. This is how they make a statement since they can't net bass in NJ waters to keep as a bye catch.
    Yes its perfectly legal as they can't keep them but they don't need to kill them either.they could scoop and release them,the scoops they off load bunker with are about 3 feet round.
    fin just got off the phone with my freind from fish&game he sad he needs to see pic he said they are c&r only not killed that is what he is telling me they can be thrown over not killed

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    It's kinda hard Speedy, but not impossible. They told me they want specific proof. I spent a few afternoons last year taking video footage of a Comm, but the best I could do was document some minor violations. Not worth it for them to prosecute.

A lot of the boats Fin is talking about have proper permits. The only way to make them disappear is for fishermen to get organized like they did in the 1980's, when guys like Finchaser, Joe Melillo, Surfwalker, and a host of others and Fishing clubs out there all got together and kept at it.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but to get that level of invoilvement from fishermen today might be next to impossible. We Recs can't even make a good % showing at the March on Washington. There are millions of Rec anglers on the US's Coastal Zones, yet only a few thousand showed up to protest regs that affect the rules for everyone.

Today, at this moment, many fishermen are more concerned about when the next wave of big fish will be close and how they can get one. That's the way it is. I don't see that changing much until the majority see the cause and affect between netting the bunker in close and the immediate decline in the fishery after.

Many fishermen out there today aren't old enough to remember what life was like back then, nor do they care. That's what were working with here, although I have many thanks and praise for those who DO care.
    Here's a partial answer, Speedy.

Default Why people should join the RFA

Speedy, sometimes the will and desire of fishermen is not enough. That's why PACs (Political Action Organizations) like the RFA were formed. They get things done.

Recreational Fishing Alliance
    Friends & anglers,

As we celebrate the Memorial Day weekend, Our nation's primary fishery law - the Magnuson Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act - contains restrictions that have no sound basis in science, and were put into law with help from the Pew Charitable Trusts and their friends at Environmental Defense, Natural Resource Defense Council and the Marine Fish Conservation Network. The agenda of these uncompromising Pew-funded environmental groups is pretty clear to us here at the RFA - to keep us off the water, using whatever means possible.

The question remains, why is it always the fishermen?

Again, why is always the resource users who take the switch, while resource abusers walk away unscathed?

Recreational fishermen are conservationists - we all want to rebuild our nation's fisheries, but there's no need to get there in random timeframes that shut down access while waiting for fisheries to rebuild. While these wild-eyed environmental organizations propose radical plans to privatize fisheries and arbitrarily restrict angler access, the RFA has been actively lobbying Congress for a more responsible plan, leading rallies on DC, and taking on serious legal challenges in hopes of reversing the indifference that currently exists at the federal level towards our recreational fishing communities.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, and may God bless America!

Jim Hutchinson, Jr.
    Managing Director - RFA
    Join the RFA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Here's a partial answer, Speedy.
    dark but 4 miles of dead bass is not good for them

Bait boats are legal but I don't believe reduction boats are legal

Default Reduction boats vs bait boats

Some friends and I have been arguing over a few beers about ways to curtail the bunker boats. I went and did some research, as finchaser says they have their permits. Short of cutting holes in their hulls it doesn't seem there is much we can do as long as the Omega vacuum (reduction) boats are not out there doing it. From what some other captains have said a lot of these boats were from other states like MA and RI.

The only way to win on this one seems to gettting outraged and getting our politicians involved again. Anyone think Pallone is up to the task or will he just collect our contributions. My thinking is maybe that new candidate Diane Gooch could use this as a campaign plank. Or the RFA in NJ could help us. Either way, it won't get done by us complaining about it. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

Here's some stuff that was out there on the internet -

SHIRRED OR PURSE SEINES FOR MENHADEN FOR FISH MEAL REDUCTION
    The taking of Atlantic menhaden by any means for the purpose of fish meal reduction is prohibited.
    SHIRRED OR PURSE SEINES FOR MENHADEN FOR BAIT

SEASON:

January 1 to December 31.

AREA:

Atlantic Ocean - between 0.6 and 3 nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers; Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook Bay - not closer than 0.6

nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers; Delaware Bay - that portion of Delaware Bay south and east of LORAN C line 42850 not closer than 0.6

nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers.

GEAR:

Purse or shirred net.

SPECIAL RESTRICTION:

Applicants must apply for a bait permit between January 1 and March 1 in every calendar year. No applications shall

be accepted after March 1 in any calendar year. Maximum length of vessel is 90 feet. Maximum length of net is 150 fathoms (900 feet). Removal

of fish from purse seine shall be by brailing or dip netting only. Fish pumps are prohibited aboard harvest vessels permitted to purse seine menhaden

for bait. All fishing and related activities may not occur any closer to the shore, jetties or piers than 0.6 nautical miles in the Atlantic Ocean,
    Delaware Bay and Raritan and Sandy Hook bays. No fishing permitted between sunset and sunrise. No fishing permitted on Saturdays, Sundays or
    any holiday officially observed by the State of New Jersey (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's

Birthday, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and

Christmas Day). No stakes, markers, buoys, crab pots, lobster pots, fish pots, or staked shellfish grounds shall be disturbed by the act of fishing.
    Possession of any fish other than menhaden is prohibited.
    Any vessel engaged in fishing for Atlantic menhaden for bait must obtain a bait permit and shall display, on both sides of the vessel amidships, a
    yellow capital letter "B" not less than five feet in height on a black square background not less that six feet on a side, or as otherwise specified in the
    regulation. In all cases, however, each side of the black background shall be no less that three-quarters of the height of the gunwale at amidships
    from the waterline.
    A permit suspension/revocation schedule exists for violation of authorized fishing areas. Any vessel operating under this permit is required to
    notify the Division’s Marine Enforcement Unit (609-748-2050) on a daily basis of the identity of the vessel, the intended fishing locations of the
    vessel or any change in intended fishing location prior to the onset of fishing activity. All persons licensed to take Atlantic menhaden for bait
    purposes only shall keep and submit accurate records of the amount and location of Atlantic menhaden harvested.

FEE:

Based upon gross tonnage - range $20-$700

Default PL 2001, the NJ Bunker bill

This was passed Jan 6,2002.
    Dark I believe you also have a thread on it somewhere here.

P.L. 2001, CHAPTER 359,
    approved January 6, 2002

Assembly, No. 3512
    A
    N ACT
    1 concerning the taking of menhaden in State coastal waters
    2 and amending R.S.23:3-51.
    4 BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of the State
    of New Jersey:

7 1. R.S.23:3-51 is amended to read as follows:
    8 23:3-51. a. A person intending to take menhaden with purse or
    9 shirred nets in any waters in the jurisdiction of this State, including the
    10 waters of the Atlantic ocean, within
    [3] three nautical miles of the
    11 coast line of this State, shall apply to the commissioner for a license
    12 therefor. The commissioner, upon [the] receipt of the application and
    13 payment [to him] of the fee [provided in section 23:3-52 of this
    14 Title] required pursuant to R.S.23:3-52 , may, [in his discretion] at
    15 the commissioner's discretion, issue to the applicant a license [,] to
    16 take menhaden [with purse or shirred nets] , except as prohibited in
    17 subsection b. of this section . The license shall be void after December
    18 31 next succeeding its issuance.
    19 b. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection a. of this section
    20 or any other law, or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant thereto,
    21 to the contrary, the commissioner shall not issue a license for the
    22 taking of menhaden, and no person may take menhaden, in State
    23 coastal waters, including Delaware, Great, Raritan, and Sandy Hook
    24 bays, for the purpose of reduction, including conversion to fish meal,
    25 oil, and other components.
    26 c. This act shall not affect the taking of menhaden in State coastal
    27 waters for the use as bait for commercial or recreational purposes.
    28 (cf: P.L.1979, c.199, s.66)
    30 2. This act shall take effect immediately.
    33 STATEMENT
    35 This bill prohibits the taking of menhaden in State coastal waters,
    36 including Delaware, Great, Raritan, and Sandy Hook Bays, for the
    37 purpose of fish meal reduction. Under the bill, the licensed taking of
    38 menhaden in State coastal waters for use as bait for commercial or
    39 recreational purposes would continue to be permitted.
    A3512

3 Prohibits taking of menhaden in State coastal waters for fish meal
    4 reduction.

As much as it sucks they are only interested in what they are making a living on. Soon they will not have a reason to get the bunker.

This is how they make a statement since they can't net bass in NJ waters to keep as a bye catch.
    It almost seems like they are giving a big to state officials?

This was in today's Asbury Park Press. They can't get herring so they are scooping up all the bunker. Contact your legislator and tell them you support the A2304/S1130 bills.

http://www.app.com/article/20100604/...bus-amendments

On bunker boats and omnibus amendments

By JOHN OSWALD ?€? STAFF COLUMNIST ?€? June 4, 2010
    While many anglers thought the bunker boats that once plied New Jersey waters were a thing of the past, they're back. This time the boats are after the bunker for bait and not for the purpose of fish meal, cat food, fertilizer and the other products the reduction boats provided.

"These are bait boats, not reduction boats, so we're not seeing the massive, mechanized depletion of our coastal bunker stocks for the purpose of reduction," said Jim Donofrio, RFA's Executive Director.

Thanks for all the informative postings on this guys. The link to the original bunker bill info is this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=5151

Anyone who is mad as hell about this, that's a good thing. Take that anger and use it to send letters to your legislators.

Contact the RFA, get included in their newsletters through an e-mail sign up, and keep yourselves informed.

This will not be resolved with rhetoric on the internet.

As Capt Adam has said, there are bills in the works, but they're not completed yet. These guys need our support. There is still a danger that they won't be passed.

All for the price of a $70-200 yearly permit, these out-of state boats can come into our NJ waters and net all the bunker they want. If this doesn't seem unfair to you folks out there, I don't know what would be more unfair.

Use your outrage to get involved.
    Become part of the solution not the problem.
    Many hands and voices are needed, make yours count today.

Default Bye Bye Bunker

The thread below, originally posted by Finchaser, illustrates how the "big guys" Omega Protein get things done, by generous campaign contributions to the key legislators in their districts.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=5839

The one benefit here is that the majority of the bunker boats that were gathering bunker off NJ were independents. Sure there were ones allegedly connected to Omega, and the Omega boat was allegedly offshore beyond 3 miles. (Still waiting for photo evidence of that).

For the most part, these are single boats coming in from other states because they can't get herring. They use the argument that they have to feed their families, this is what they must do. I feel bad that they have the herring resource taken away from them, but not bad enough to give them carte blanche to net all our bunker.

There is no sense of "selective netting" with these guys, they net all the bunker (and "bass bycatch" under them) until the bunker are gone.

The fish move on when this happens, they don't wait around for new pods of bunker to come up the coast.

That's why right now the majority of striped bass are following their northern migration in search of cooler water and larger bait.

The bunker are the key, though. Ask H Bruce Franklin, who wrote "The Most Important Fish in the Sea". The bunker that were here would have held the bass in the ocean for at least another few weeks until the ocean temps pushed those fish north. We all should be outraged about that.

Marinas, coffee shops, B&T shops, and others that were dependent on a robust striped bass fishery will suffer as less fishermen will be out there.

Part of me sees a benefit in this, as I feel those fish have been hammered all along the Eastern Coast this year, and it seems the numbers of big bass are slightly down at each place they visit.

But that's for another thread...the focus here is to help the PACs like the RFA and others who represent us to get these bills passed.

The bunker in NJ state waters should stay in NJ waters until it moves off on it's own. NY years ago enacted some of the strictest regulations for bunker netters, and doesn't have half the problems with bunker netters that we have.

It's time for NJ legislators to get tough with these netters, and demand a closer look at the tenuous relationships between bunker netters and out of state corporations.

We as fishermen deserve at least that, but we won't get that handed to us. We have to fight for it.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this spurs you on to at least write a letter or join the RFA.

www.joinRFA.org

Default Van Drew bill S-1140

Some info, on S1140

Thursday, June 03, 2010

VAN DREW BILL TO PROTECT COMMERCIAL, RECREATIONAL FISHING CLEARS COMMITEE

Legislation Would Restrict Harvest of Local Bait Fish

TRENTON – Legislation sponsored by Senator Jeff Van Drew (D-Cape May/Cumberland/Atlantic) that would protect commercial and recreational fishing in New Jersey was approved today by the Senate Environment and Energy Committee.

The bill (S-1140) would limit the issuance of permits for the commercial fishing of menhaden, a popular bait fish, beginning in 2011.

The measure was crafted to protect New Jersey from an influx of commercial fishermen from New England looking to harvest menhaden for lobster bait, as a result of a federal restriction on the amount of herring that can be used for that purpose.

“This legislation would restrict menhaden harvesting to historical levels, and prevent our waterways from becoming overrun by commercial fishermen from up and down New England’s coast,” said Senator Van Drew. “This is about protecting our commercial fishing industry, but also about ensuring our recreational fishermen have the ability to cast a line in open waters.”

Menhaden is used for bait by commercial fisheries but also is a major food source for striped bass, a top recreational catch in New Jersey. Van Drew noted that commercial and recreational fishermen in New Jersey waters cooperate and said a deluge of out-of-state commercial fishermen could pose a conflict.

Beginning in 2011, the bill would require the Environmental Protection commissioner to restrict the licenses issued for commercial menhaden fishing to people who had a valid license for at least one of the years from 2002 to 2009, and possessed a valid license in the preceding year.

The measure would also limit the size of replacement vessels for commercial fishing, requiring that no new vessel used to harvest menhaden could be greater than 10 percent larger in length, gross registered tonnage or net tonnage; a replacement vessel also could be no more than 20 percent greater in horsepower than the vessel that qualified for a license in 2010.

Additionally, no vessel used to harvest menhaden commercially could be greater than 90 feet in length, and any that did not fit the requirement would have to be retired.

The bill now heads to the full Senate.

Default Fishing Column: Bait bill moves forward

Fishing Column: Bait bill moves forward

By JOHN OSWALD • STAFF WRITER • June 7, 2010

A New Jersey Senate bill that would limit permits for the commercial fishing for mossbunker has been approved by the Senate Environment and Energy Committee and will now move on to a full senate vote.

The legislation was crafted to protect New Jersey from an influx of commercial fishermen from New England looking to harvest the popular baitfish. The appearance of these boats in state waters, more noticable in recent weeks due to the thick bunker schools, is a result of federal restrictions on the amount of herring normally harvested for bait.

Sponsored by Senator Jeff Van Drew (D-District 1) the bill would protect commercial and recreational fishing in the state.
    "This legislation would restrict menhaden harvesting to historical levels, and prevent our waterways from becoming overrun by commercial fishermen from up and down New England's coast," Senator Van Drew said. "This is about protecting our commercial fishing industry, but also about ensuring our recreational fishermen have the ability to cast a line in open waters."

Beginning in 2011, the bill would require the Environmental Protection commissioner to restrict the licenses issued for commercial menhaden fishing to people who had a valid license for at least one of the years from 2002 to 2009, and possessed a valid license in the preceding year.

The measure would also limit the size of replacement vessels for commercial fishing, requiring that no new vessel used to harvest menhaden could be greater than 10 percent larger in length, gross registered tonnage or net tonnage; a replacement vessel also could be no more than 20 percent greater in horsepower than the vessel that qualified for a license in 2010.

The Assembly version of this bill, A2304, was unanimously passed in March, and once S1140 passes in the Senate, all that remains is for Gov. Christie to sign it into law.

http://www.app.com/article/20100607/...-moves-forward

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast