Thread: Kayakers headed for disaster....

Hybrid View

Default Kayakers headed for disaster....

I'm putting this in the NJ fishing forum in hopes that the most numbers of people will see it.

Finchaser is out there right now fishing the Fluke tournament.
    One of his stops was off the Red Church in MoCo.

He related to me, that about 2 1/2 to 3 miles off, was a group of about 8 kayakers.
    He personally observed that some of them did not have flags.

On a day like today, there are some swells.
    Last night I saw the effects of an offshore storm and the swells were 3-4' where I was.
    Although intermediate, and not that bad for an experienced yakker, they still make it hard for boaters to see you......

Today, the wind speed has been between 10-15mph, E/NE/SE

IMO these are not optimal conditions to be offshore in a yak.
    It"s tough if you have to get back to land and the NE swells are 2-4'...I know this because I have been caught in swells like this before, and it can get dangerous very quickly....

I know guys have their own definition of what is dangerous, and isn't, to them.
    I know all those guys out there in that group probably have VHFs, and the right safety gear.

I'm not looking to generate bad feelings out there from the kayak community.
    Some guys are very sure about their skill sets, and knowing what they can and can't do...
    I have been out in the yak in some pretty difficult situations in the past few years.
    I know what I'm capable of, and sometimes can see how one would get irritated at someone who sounds like they are preaching.

Default Re: Kayakers headed for disaster....

My intentions are not to preach here, but merely to raise awareness.....
    And to maybe spur dialogue among those among ya.....
    boaters, surf guys, etc, who have seen kayaks in dangerous situations this or last year, and maybe want to chime in here with your thoughts

My biggest fear is that as an unlicensed body of fishermen, (yakkers) this sport is growing.
    There may be those in the legislature who want money from yakkers in a new licensing plan.
    And who want to institute a whole series of safety courses that we must pass, similar to boating classes, before we are allowed on the water.

I see this as not only a possibility, but an inevitable probability of events like today's...
    All it will take is a few tragic accidents, or boat/kayak collisions, for legislators to get involved....

Please don't think it can't happen....it's bound to happen sooner or later with the explosive growth in the kayak field....

Thanks for your opinions, folks...

I have zero experience in this area. But would think on a day like today when storms can pop up quickly, that Kayakers would best stay relatively close to land.
    What about lightning? When I am fishing from any shore I head for cover when lightning is a threat. Is lightning a threat to Kayakers?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I have something to say about this, You mentioned a license or safety course requirement. I whole heartedly agree. The amount of kayakers has gotten out of hand. They fish in the middle of the inlets now. I have also seen them go in and out through the inlets. This is unbelievably dangerous. Being out in swells without flags should be a chargeable offense.

This spring we were fishing the bunker pods one morning. The swells were 4' that day. We came upon a guy in a kayak all by himself. The kayak was orange. Thank God for that. We could not see him in the swells. To top it off he did not have a flag either. When we got to where he could hear us I told him that he was not visible in the swells, and that we almost hit him. His reaction was a shrug of the arms. He seemed like a pleasant guy but this has gotten out of hand. You are right ds. It won't be long before there is a collision. I don't want to hit anyone. I obey all the safety rules. If I have to follow them why don't they?
    Mandatory safety courses for all kayak folks. Enforcement for violations and heavy fines. They should not be allowed in the inlets either. It is just too dangerous.

We dodged thunder storms most of the day we saw coming on the radar. My friends charter boat had the top enclosure blown out coming in from offshore in a squall that had winds over 60MPH reported on his weather fax. These 8 as_holes are paddling around in a NE 3-4 foot swell and disappearing at times in the swell in a fleet of boatson an overcast stromy at times day. Then when run over it's the other guy's fault they need to learn they may be ocean kayaks but they are not offshore boats. Last Sunday a 31 foot boat ran over a 23 foot parker that he didn't see while on auto pilot he would have never known he hit a kayak.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I think some of these guys have a death wish. No offense dark I know you kayak too but I do think some more safety consideration should be the norm for all. Like voyager and finchaser said, when someone gets hit by a boat it will be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by voyager35 View Post
    I have something to say about this, You mentioned a license or safety course requirement. I whole heartedly agree. The amount of kayakers has gotten out of hand. They fish in the middle of the inlets now. I have also seen them go in and out through the inlets. This is unbelievably dangerous. Being out in swells without flags should be a chargeable offense.
    You make an excellent point voyager. Kayaks in the back of the inlets, near the sedges and flats, are not a danger at all. I too have seen them traverse the inlets. On a calm day it is safe. I have seen them try to do it when there is a swell in the ocean. They present a danger not only to themselves and other boaters but to rescue personnel who may be called in to save them if they get in trouble. Something should be done. Registrations, laws, licenses.
    We do have too many restrictions on fishermen in NJ as it is. I do hate to talk about more. You folks are right, though, something should be done as the kayakers are now all over.