Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for August 2012..www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for August 2012..www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    My bet is on King of the Googans. When Monty screws up he does it in style.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

My son and I were into some snapper action in the bay area. They were all over the place, but we only managed to get 3! Maybe you guys can share some of your more successful techniques. I'm not sure what they were feeding on, but it was very frustrating to see them busting the surface and yet for the most part our offerings yielded only a few. Just so you know they were in the 6 to 8" range. Thanks in advance.

This morning released 4 bass and 2 bluefish between 5 and 7 AM all on jig head and rubber tail

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Tue night....Skunk report...
    Stopped in the back bay to do some scouting based on the reports of larger mullet.
    Found a few mullet but not what I was looking for. I found thousands of spearing and only a small handful of predators, probably small bluefish or weakfish. Nothing for me. When the larger predators find these bodies of bait and the bays and rivers cool down a bit things could get pretty interesting.

Then made a few stops in the ocean. The ocean water, although dropping in temp a degree or 2, was still murky.
    I felt that may have had something to do with lack of action. Also did not mark much bait.
    Fished all levels of the water column, dropping tide.
    Not a tap.

Wed PM report -
    The ocean is starting to clear up a bit. There was more bait around. Managed one Hail Mary fish on a bucktail, dropping tide. Short bass, released.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    My son and I were into some snapper action in the bay area. They were all over the place, but we only managed to get 3! Maybe you guys can share some of your more successful techniques. I'm not sure what they were feeding on, but it was very frustrating to see them busting the surface and yet for the most part our offerings yielded only a few. Just so you know they were in the 6 to 8" range. Thanks in advance.
    Mike what were you using? Small snapper poppers are good but you can also tip them with spearing, seems to work better.
    Picked up 4 albies to 6# today. Small oo7 when they came within range.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Picked up 4 albies to 6# today. Small oo7 when they came within range.
    That's great!!, Nice Hookset.

I first tried a small kastmaster, no luck. I switched to a snapper rig w/popper. The small hook on the rig had a very small srg. tube on it, by itself was not producing. I then started putting very small slivers of squid on. That seem to produce a little action especially when I just let the styrofoam popper just float. I still was not getting the results I was expecting. There seemed to be plenty of fish, but I guess they were more interested in whatever it was they were feeding on. We did manage to get 3 and they made a nice little appetizer before dinner the next night. They sure are tasty unlike the adults.

Today 5 to 7 AM released 3 bass and 16 blues to 12 pounds

Fished Island beach this morning, inlet . The S wind was bad but the fluke were hungry. Got 2 keepers on gulp 19 and 22".
    Finchaser you are slaying the bass and big blues, kudos.

I have been catching up to 10-15 kingfish at a time at island beach in the mornings before the bugs get active. You can get them with fishbites little pieces or if you want to be cheap put some clam strips on a high low rig with small hooks. Great fun with the grandkids.

First Skunk this morning in over 2 weeks pi_s warm dirty water completely void of life.

Good for you clamchucker sounds like fun I wish I could do that with my grand kids but they moved to Arizona

Fished this morning 1:00-1:15 ocean side and 2:15-8:30 bayside. Oceanside was over crowded so I went bayside. Could only manage one fluke on a sand eel plug around 3:00 AM. Had a few bumps in the dark, nothing after the sun came up. Water was cloudy. Real nice weather, great being out there.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    First Skunk this morning in over 2 weeks pi_s warm dirty water completely void of life.
    It's possible the fish heard I was thinking of coming down, and left the area temporarily....
    I don't know who's more likely to shut the bite when coming in to fish a previously productive area, me...or Killie
    Sorry I missed ya, OGB.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Fished this morning 1:00-1:15 ocean side and 2:15-8:30 bayside. Oceanside was over crowded so I went bayside. Could only manage one fluke on a sand eel plug around 3:00 AM. Had a few bumps in the dark, nothing after the sun came up. Water was cloudy.
    I had a similar experience as you, Monty.
    Wanted to fish the late night tides, but I screwed up and slept late. By the time I got down there it was high tide and about 1 1/2 hours before sunrise....Saw the ocean, little churned up and with the swells I decided to fish some back areas and do some thorough scouting. The bait is building up and it's only a matter of weeks before larger predators start to come in in greater numbers.
    I watched thousands of spearing feeding in the top of that algae stained water. They periodically got harassed by small snappers.
    Fished all levels of the water column, many profiles, not a tap for me.

However, as you said, the bay was filthy....and as Fin mentioned pi** warm water close to 80 degrees will keep a lot of fish out other than the cooler tide changes. There is brown and green algae all over the place. It now seems to cover most of the bay.

Did some scouting on the way home, the peanuts and mullet are building up in the usual areas.

Way to Go Monty at least you didn't get skunked.
    Great pic of the sky as well, thanks for sharing.

this AM the water was dirtier and warmer, passed the inlet and watched guys netting large 6 to 10 inch mullet with no fish under or near them. They were pushing water like bunker do. Took the skunk again well I quit until the next cold front drops the water temp

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Took the skunk again well I quit until the next cold front drops the water temp
    Finchaser is QUITTING? Giving UP??????

Time to pack the gear up till the fall - it's OVER!
    Dark are you still in the game or are you hanging up the bass pursuits and coming out in daylight hours to fish for fluke with the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Finchaser is QUITTING? Giving UP??????

Time to pack the gear up till the fall - it's OVER!
    If only Belushi were here-

Its over Johnny -

You guys are hilarious. i didn't think anyone was catching many bass, haven't checked the reports in awhile. Congrats, finchaser its like you are the bass whisperer. Great reading guys, love the animal house reference.

roflmao!

Funny as hell but I'll be back sooooooooooooooooooon when water temp drops and cleans up.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast