Thread: New Law Improving Recreational Access

Hybrid View

Default New Law Improving Recreational Access

Check this out a state that makes it mandatory to improve fishing access when bridges or roads are improved.
    Is it NJ?

No way. it's Maryland.

New law to improve recreational access along bridges and roads
    View all related news articles

On April 9 , Maryland’s Governor Martin O’Malley signed into law HB 797 which promotes safe recreational fishing, canoe and kayak access to waterways along Maryland’s bridges and roads . KeepAmericaFishing thanks those Maryland anglers that took action and sent their message along. We hope that other states will follow this model and improve their own recreational waterway access
    Lack of access to fishable waters is commonly cited as one of the top concerns among anglers. In an effort to help turn the tide and provide better public access to Maryland’s thousands of miles of rivers, streams and shorelines, Governor O’Malley recently signed into law a bill (HB 797) to promote safe recreational fishing, canoe and kayak access along the state’s bridges and roads. This is a tremendous victory for anglers and can be used as a model for other states to incorporate. KeepAmericaFishing™ wishes to thank the legislators, fishing and conservation organizations, and interested citizens who helped support this bill’s passage. KeepAmericaFishing members supported this legislation and we thank you for helping make passage possible.

Maryland’s 10,000 miles of rivers and streams, as well as its 4,000 miles of tidal shoreline, can be difficult to access because adjacent roads and bridges can lack safe shoulders, pull-off areas or parking. These areas often were constructed without regards to access and angler safety. Oftentimes access can be provided at minimal or no cost, but is not incorporated in project planning.

HB 797 addresses this problem and will enhance waterway access by requiring state and local transportation departments to consider providing, where reasonable and cost-effective, waterway access in roadway construction or reconstruction projects.

Before being signed into law by the Governor, this non-controversial, bipartisan and cost-effective legislation passed the House of Delegates by an overwhelming 130-3 margin and the Senate by 47-0 margin. The bill was supported by KeepAmericaFishing, the Maryland Legislative Sportsmen’s Foundation, the Chesapeake Conservancy, Maryland Bass Angler’s Sportsmen’s Society, and many other fishing and conservation organizations, as well as the Maryland Department of Transportation and Department of Natural Resources.

HB 797 would help promote outdoor recreational opportunities for families; greatly improve safety for recreational users and motorists alike; help stimulate the economies and livability of local communities; and enhance the health and quality of life of our citizens. KeepAmericaFishing looks forward to working with other state legislatures and transportation agencies to incorporate this beneficial and non-controversial legislation throughout the country.

http://www.keepamericafishing.org/ac...igned_into_law

Default Re: New Law Improving Recreational Access

This is the actual law. Why can't we have something like this in Jersey?

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/hb/hb0797f.pdf

^^^^ Because not enough fishermen are willing to fight. Take the drag island thing for example. It was pushed on 3 different websites. Bassbarn got the most play because it's a south jersey website and you would think guys have a self interest. The other one, SOL, is a veritable giant for north jersey fishermen. Relative to the 35,000 members that it claims to have, hardly any response at all.

I think stripers and anglers got a better response rate probably because dark can be so irritating at times. I got 5 of my family members to sign because I understand and support what he and the DIAPA group are doing. I see the passion that went into his posts and the time he took to explain everything to every group out there. Boaters should have gotten involved in this too. Unbelievable that those who didn't want to support fellow fishermen yet would ask for support in things like march on washington or support in signing a subway car petition.

It's not about drag island it is about fishing access for us all. How much effort would it have been for an extra thousand salt water fishermen to sign the petition? I have been in this game for a long time and have seen much of our fishing access taken away. Shame on the folks who would not make the slightest effort to sign.

In 2013 we have evolved as a society - a society of lazy fat asses who rant loudly on the internet but are not good for much else. At least in NJ. Maryland seems to have some folks who actually care. They are willing to work at progress rather than empty words on the internet. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    How much effort would it have been for an extra thousand salt water fishermen to sign the petition? Shame on the folks who would not make the slightest effort to sign.

In 2013 we have evolved as a society - a society of lazy fat asses who rant loudly on the internet but are not good for much else. At least in NJ. Maryland seems to have some folks who actually care. They are willing to work at progress rather than empty words on the internet. Just my .02

How much trouble would it be for fishermen to pick up their trash as well?
    Lots of lazy slobs out there. I wish NJ was as progressive as Maryland is though. We used to be, what happpened? Bob Martin was made head of the DEP. Everything went downhill after that.

Buckethead made some very good points. The fishermen in new jersey are composed of many different groups each having a selfish self-interest. It is my experience that folks are not willing to band together to protest or fight in unison which is something we used to do quite often. The bunker bill would never have passed if we fishermen didn't join together as one. What I see is many groups that are only concerned with their back yard. If it is happening in another county or part of the state they don't care. To answer your question vsdreams we don't have something like that in nj because people are not willing to get together and demand that as part of their rights.

This would never work in Connecticut. All the Richie Riches of the state would get together and protest or contact their lobbyist and give money to make the problem go away. You folks should not pass up an opportunity to fight for access or ask for things to be given to fishermen.

You can ask them how much money is spent in a state when fishermen come there to fish. How much does Long Island make in tourist dollars from fishermen going to fish Montauk? I don't know but I bet it is mucho millions. You can say the same thing for every state that makes improvements like this. Build it right and the fishermen will come.

Quote Originally Posted by clamchucker View Post
    What I see is many groups that are only concerned with their back yard. If it is happening in another county or part of the state they don't care. To answer your question vsdreams we don't have something like that in nj because people are not willing to get together and demand that as part of their rights.
    Amen clamchucker. Couldn't agree more.