Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Surfwalker Challenge.....Do you Follow the Herd, or Lead your Own Way????

Hybrid View

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for August 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

ps monty loaded redfin - nice!

I was fishing this morning with a nasty old redfin, central south shore. Around 7am the birds and bait went crazy and I got 6 tailor blues. Small but fun. The old plugs are great because you don't care if you lose them.

Slow pick of bass last night before dark. 3 to 22" on small black bomber right before it shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    What I'm getting at is- Do you fix up your old plugs or just throw them into a box, or do you fill in the hook holes and repair them, repaint them, have faith in them. Your old dull metals- Do you cover them with reflective tape or anything? Your new plastics are they sprayed with some clear before the first use? Am I just cheap or a hate to let go person?

If they can handle the strain of bigger fish I keep and repaint them, I like to paint plugs black and yellow or a combination of the two. White is cool too but it doesn't need to be a picasso to catch fish. Def want to upgrade with bigger hooks. I tried reflective tape once on the diamond jigs. the bite was on and we were catching bass and blues so I am not sure if it made a difference.

Default Whip Tails

I have used the top pictured lure on many occasions, matter of fact it's in the bag all the time. When I bought them I think they were under the name Whip Tail, not sure. Never caught big on it, but has produced well.
    Thanks for posting that article. Used to look forward to Nelson Bryants' articles.

Got some bluefish on those bait tails in the past few weeks, they were picky....
    I'll try to search for some pics I took and post them when I get a chance....

Default Re: LI plug and tackle manufacturers: back in time....

Don Bingler and the Bingle Lure Co

From what I understand, Don Bingler was responsible for some decent innovations and things for the boat fishing crowd.... He sold these under the name Bingle Lures Inc, out of Brooklyn, NY.

*There were also 2 guys around the same time making similar jigs, Bob Sparta and Gary Goldbery, who started S&G lures.

Among some other products, I believe Don made:
    The Bingle Bait Tail
    The Bingle Banana
    The Bingle Dandy tail. (maybe as a response to the famous whip tail, with which they were killing big weakfish and bass during that time.)

Mostly these jigs were meant to be jigged or trolled from boats, but under bridges they were magic as well. Most popular in the 1970's.

Here's a quote someone said about the Bingle bait tail:
    "Bait Tail, next to the diamond jig, is probably the best all around lure for the NY Bight. And unlike the diamond jig, the bait tail will catch fish at night."

Attachment 16704

Attachment 16705
    Pic of Bingle Dandy tail I shot at a recent show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3311.jpg   IMGP3310.JPG  

Default Re: LI plug and tackle manufacturers: back in time....

Was looking at the back pages and found this. Great thread fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    The official bumper sticker for Sekora lures.I had one still lying around.
    A wealth of info in this thead. Very informative. Thanks for sharing.

Finally made it out front first time this year 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm had 6 short bass and 1 fat 29"bass all still swimming all on Mucho minnow my friend jerry had 9 on Mambo minnow they wouldn't touch the SP or anything else but slammed small minnows. water was 47 screaming current running south to north for some unknown reason.

One other note there was skim ice on the beaver dam creek this morning for the first time

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    they wouldn't touch the SP or anything else but slammed small minnows. water was 47 screaming current running south to north for some unknown reason.

One other note there was skim ice on the beaver dam creek this morning for the first time
    Yep its getting cold out. Fished OC from 4-6am and picked up 4 short bass. Tried the black SP as well. The only thing that worked for me was a redfin. Fish were in tight and hit hard. By 6 it was over. I took a reading this morning of 46 degrees finchaser. Good to see some out there taking their own temerature readings. This could be the last push of fish before thanksgiving and the death rats with them. Damn was it cold out. No one else fishing the beach I was on.

Nice going gents. finchaser I read where you said you haven't fished the beaches yet this year. Glad to see you caught fish on your first time out. Thanks for the advice on the mucho minnows. Guess they would work with all the small bait around.

Was forced to the beach back waters have dropped ^^^ sure would work at 4 1/2 inches and 7/8 ounce they cast great plus they swim in real skinny water. They are a knock off of the old mega bait JB 110

They look tasty I'll have to pick some up. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the catching.

sure would work at 4 1/2 inches and 7/8 ounce they cast great plus they swim in real skinny water.

Thank you sir for the recommendation fin chaser. kudos on catching some when there don't seem to be many fish in the surf. The beaches in Atlantic and Cape may counties are very shallow and terrible at low tide. Anything good in skinny water would be an advantage to the terrible luck I have been having lately. Will try them out.

I fished late yesterday afternoon released 3 shorts on the new bomber long shot, casts and swims great. I'll put up pictures of this new plug later

Bump for VS dreams.....when the most popular plugs aren't working....try something different and experiment with some plugs out of rotation.....you may be surprised at the results.....

Was forced to the beach back waters have dropped ^^^ sure would work at 4 1/2 inches and 7/8 ounce they cast great plus they swim in real skinny water. They are a knock off of the old mega bait JB 110
    I love these things....

Mucho Minnow

This girl took old gear and caught some fish. Darcizzle

Nice!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast