Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Molested by horseshoe crabs yet?

Default Getting Molested by horseshoe crabs yet?

I have been out bayside and haven't seen a 1. that's unusual for this time of year. Will try to locate them at the Hook this week, but is anyone else seeing them yet?

Default Re: Getting Molested by horseshoe crabs yet?

Haven't been out that much but have not seen them either. Strange year isn't it?

Molested by the crabs lol. Like when they come and try to mate with your wader boots. Try doing that at night on a new moon it gets spooky when you do not expect them to come calling. i haven't seen any yet either. Did see one dead shell the other day though.

They are at the hook. They can be relentless at times.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

no sightings is probably why they are on the endangered species list was the prime bait of lobster fisherman

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I have mated with a few ....well my shoe did ...pretty thick in my neck of the bay > I allmost fell when I went to move and stumbel on one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003 (2).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	16985
    came across this big boy today
    my foot print is next to it and I were a size 13 ....the biggest one I every saw

Has anyone seen a lot of them yet? I fished a rb beach and it didn't seem like there were too many this year. maybe I was at the wrong beach?

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    Has anyone seen a lot of them yet? I fished a rb beach and it didn't seem like there were too many this year. maybe I was at the wrong beach?
    Sorry but I think you missed the spawn that causes them to move to shore, it happens around the full moon.

I had them tickling my bare feet two weeks ago by the dozens.

A few weeks ago at the Hook there were a couple trying to go to town with my wader boot.

Here is a pic I took in 2010, big time get together.....

Name:	2010_6_20_HC.jpg 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	18378

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    A few weeks ago at the Hook there were a couple trying to go to town with my wader boot.
    I go barefoot once the water warms up and I let them tickle my toes <-- sad part is I am not even joking.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Sorry but I think you missed the spawn that causes them to move to shore, it happens around the full moon.

I had them tickling my bare feet two weeks ago by the dozens.
    yeah dude you missed the boat if you were looking to get in on any horseshoe crab orgies lol.
    JB do you really go out there bare footed this time of year or are you putting us on. That must be pretty freaky when they start running over you with those snow crab like appendages.

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    That must be pretty freaky when they start running over you with those snow crab like appendages.

That is certainly different.I have heard of guys having women trample them with their appendages. Never did this myself, you understand.
    Would rather have a lovely lady trample me than those creepy helmets with spiny legs. To each his own.

yeah dude you missed the boat if you were looking to get in on any horseshoe crab orgies lol.
    JB do you really go out there bare footed this time of year or are you putting us on. That must be pretty freaky when they start running over you with those snow crab like appendages.
    Scares you at first but once you get use to them trying to fertilize your toes it feels pretty good.

Scares you at first but once you get use to them trying to fertilize your toes it feels pretty good.
    I don't mind them on my boot footed waders any more, but them going to town on my toes would freak me out....big time.

I go barefoot once the water warms up and I let them tickle my toes <-- sad part is I am not even joking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I don't mind them on my boot footed waders any more, but them going to town on my toes would freak me out....big time.

I guess some of ya's here haven't fished with JB yet......
    It's all true.....you can find him easily on the beach because he's one of the only ones out there barefoot in April/May......

And I'm trying to say this nicely....there's something about him....that's a little "off"....
    He does catch a lot of bigger fish, though......
    Maybe those crabs and bare feet are his mo-jo......like a sports star has a certain baseball cap, shirt, or pair of socks he has to wear when he is on a winning streak.......
    Personally, I think he has somewhat of a toe fetish issue......
    (Just busting ya, JB)

This has been going on heavily for over 2 weeks where we had a strong bass bite. There is an area that used to be great for weakies and some bass that has died off and there is no horseshoes there, they used to be thick. So the crabs are definately tied to be a good fishing catching area

^^^^^^ Good point. I have also noticed for the back when the horseshoe crabs are done and start to leave that's usually the time in the season when the back bays start to heat up too much and have insane amounts of weed. Bunker clear out and the fishing drops after that.

Agree with shark and hook.

I never made that connection guys thanks for the intel.
    I took these when the horseshoe crabe were spawing or mating or whatever it is they do. The tracks were pretty cool I guess thats how they lay the eggs.

Name:	450-831.jpg 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	18590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	450-832.jpg 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	18591

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast