Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for Sept 2014...www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    There isnt' many in NJ right now but every Sept i know a place in the barney that is a strong hold for peanuts and mullet and the Weakies follow. Toughest bite i ever seen, bait was uber thick with blitz conditions, weakies were ripping through and had nuts coming out of the water whole tide. I managed to trick a few, landed 4 to 24" mostly on black and dropped a few
    Spot on about this sharkhart. Fished last night and finally got my first fall weakfish. It was only 16" gently released. They used to be in the back bays in large schools and this year I don't know what happened. This spike ate a little piece of bunker. I was also fishing clams which got the most fish. 4 stripers short and fat. Right around high tide and a little after. These little footballs were feeding heavily on the small bait. They looked like stuffed pigs. There was also some peanut bunker around but not too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    Great reports guys!! Well done!...
    My bud hooked up and he thought it was a BIG fish... peeled drag until it stopped and hugged the bottom...We both assumed it was a ray tried to get him off the bottom but he ended up snapping the line...My buddy was pissed...
    Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    ^ Almost sounds like he hooked a stargazer that ended up burying itself in the sand.
    What was he casting when he hooked the fish? And how beefy was the rod and reel? It could have been anything from a stargazer to a drum to a big ray. To him it will always be the big one lost. Tell your buddy it could have been a record striper. There is no way to prove it wasn't. That's the beauty of the fish that got away.
    sharkhart nice weakie report. Haven't seen too much of them this year nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    That's the beauty of the fish that got away.
    sharkhart nice weakie report. Haven't seen too much of them this year nicely done.
    fish that got away

X2 on the weakfish comment. nice fish SH.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    What was he casting when he hooked the fish? And how beefy was the rod and reel? It could have been anything from a stargazer to a drum to a big ray. To him it will always be the big one lost. Tell your buddy it could have been a record striper. There is no way to prove it wasn't. That's the beauty of the fish that got away.
    He was throwing a Yozuri Mag minnow which does dive deep..And he had a 9 ft Triumph St Croix rod...I was busting him all day that..."that was the 1 dude!!! The 50lber that got away"!!! LOL...We like to do some ball busting out there makes it fun haha.....But i really think it was a ray just by the huge run it took at first...If it was a stargazer it was the biggest stargazer EVER No way they can make runs like that...Then it just stopped and was dead weight...I have hooked rays in the past that have run exactly like that...And the water is still warm enuff for them to be around....Gonna head out tn and try some of the spots i scouted yesterdat at low water....

Your right the stargazers don't peel line; I don't think I have ever had one even pull drag.

I have been fishing Island Beach more often now that September is here. Have been catching a few small bass in the mornings at sunrise. An ava jig has been working for me. Also there is a pretty good bluefish bite on cut mullet. More blues than bass.

i really think it was a ray just by the huge run it took at first...If it was a stargazer it was the biggest stargazer EVER No way they can make runs like that...Then it just stopped and was dead weight...I have hooked rays in the past that have run exactly like that...And the water is still warm enuff for them to be around...
    Prob had a big cownose. They tend to dig in like that too after a strong run.
    Fished last night. Picked up 2 small weakies on zooms in the back of OC. Too much bait and not that many fish. Pretty tough catching like sharkheart said.

Three of us fished OC 2:30 - 7:30 PM and caught 60 bluefish (1 1/2 pounders). Most fish were caught on mullet, but right before dark schools mullet showed up in the wash and we were able to catch some of the bluefish on plugs.

^ The OFFC out and on the road.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ARDS-out-there
    So glad you guys got out and got some fish. Best of health and luck for the Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by fishrich View Post
    Three of us fished OC 2:30 - 7:30 PM and caught 60 bluefish (1 1/2 pounders). Most fish were caught on mullet, but right before dark schools mullet showed up in the wash and we were able to catch some of the bluefish on plugs.
    Sounds like a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by fishrich View Post
    Its always nice to have constent action like that!!..Nice job!!

What do you think about this bit of a blow coming thru...Help or hurt us? Im just worried all that bait thats been around NoMoCo(with no real fish on them)Is gonna get blown out? I cant get out till the weekned..trying to get all my "honey-do" stuff done before a decent bite starts..

Help or hurt us? Im just worried all that bait thats been around NoMoCo(with no real fish on them)Is gonna get blown out? .
    Nice report fishrich. Lots o little blues on that mullet. Good job on the numbers. blazin Id say all the mullet are gonna go bye bye. Starting over from square one after with chocolate milk. the bays too. Thats too bad cause I had some decent weakie action in the back the other night.

Agree with jigfreak. Just looked at a surfcam and the rollers are huge! Monty that should be enough white water to last for the fall. Nice going on the blues fishrich you really caught a bunch!

Fished the moco surf this morning during the last of the incoming. Surf was big but clarity wasn't that bad. No bait around I think the mullet really have thinned out. Picked up 2 short bass on bucktail and chartreuse grub.

Fished nomoco. Damn it was a beautiful night out there. Just a hint of chill in the air and not too breezy. Bait in close swimming by care free. Threw rubber shads, needlefish, and some sweet plugs, NADA!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Fished nomoco. Damn it was a beautiful night out there. Just a hint of chill in the air and not too breezy. Bait in close swimming by care free. Threw rubber shads, needlefish, and some sweet plugs, NADA!!!!!!!!
    Glad to hear im not the only 1 skunking it up in NoMoCo...Last night 7-1130pm...Three spots all looked good waves were up still but lots of fishy white water...Tried the usual stuff and couldnt get a bite ..No wind and a little chill to the air..Felt like i should of caught...I cant wait september to be over...That damn skunk wont stop following me ...

Add me to the skunk patrol guys. Fished moco this morning. Nice white water but not a touch. didn't see any mullet visible out beyond the surf break either.

Skunk too. I tried 2 spots in MoCo. One had surfers and looked fishy. Another had no one fishing there but it was rocky and I thought there had to be one fish hiding there. Used a white storm shad for 2 hours. No dice.

I cant wait september to be over...That damn skunk wont stop following me ...
    Me too worst september ever.

X2

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast