Thread: I have a Favorite Spot I Fish - Can I Lose Access?

Default I have a Favorite Spot I Fish - Can I Lose Access?

Do any of you have a "Go-To" spot, a place where you go to get a big fish....or a place, when faced with the skunk everywhere else, go to to get that one bass on that one last cast.....to be able to go home with dignity and say to yourself..."At least I got one tonight..."

How well do you protect that Intel?
    Do you tell all your friends about it?
    Do you share it on Facebook?

This thread will break down what happens when we lose a favorite fishing area or spot. I'm going through this right now....an area I have loved to fish for years will probably be shut down by the end of 2012.....

The ability to predict things is getting scary, because the older I get, the better I get at it.....
    I'm hoping against hope that I might not be right on this one....but as the issue unfolds, and all the big mouths out there.....
    it seems more likely that we will lose access at another great fishing spot.......

Please excuse the generic descriptions.....and vagueness....

When it does eventually get shut down, I'll come on here and give some more details.....

In the meantime, if you have a favorite place you fish....and have been telling all your friends and "Facebook Buddies" about it (What is a facebook buddy anyway? )......

Please think of this cautionary tale, before blabbing about the good fishing to the whole world....

Here is the breakdown of something I posted somewhere else earlier today......someone I know posted their experience (Quoted) and I posted my comments below that.....

QUOTE:
    When I first joined I learned the hard way.

* One december I was slamming fish on topwater every single night...every night ....everyone on the barn was reporting how slow and dead it was..

* I got cocky and was giving reports to brag about how great I am and the fish were their in huge numbers...

* After a few reports I didnt see what the harm would be to give a few clues about my whereabouts...

* No lie The next night I get to the spot and it looked like the picture above...I ruined it...

* not only did I anger the regulars who were telling me to be tight lipped..

* But I totally ruined the spot ...people left trash everywhere....Lights were shut off an hour after dark and by by fishies....

* It has never been the same and havent caught a fish in the spot in about 6 years.......

* Now Im a full on supporter of anti spot burn.

My Response:

"what you said was short, simple, and easy to understand..

For you sports fans out there, it's a playbook....

That playbook will play out, the same way, each time, we try to be nice to people and "help" a few strangers out.......

And even though I'm not quite an old fart yet, I'm old enough, that I can start to predict when these things will happen, often way ahead of when they do....

There are some people who commented in this thread who just don't understand the true meaning behind your words....so many lame excuses here...
    1. What's a little intel between friends?
    2. Fish move, get over yourselves!
    3. If I can't share info with someone on the internet, what is the point of belonging to this community?
    4. There are no secret spots anywhere, they are all known anyway, what's the big deal?
    5. I only tell my closest friends about this place, and they all swore not to tell anyone...

LAND BASED Spots....
    If you have uttered any one of the above phrases in this thread, or something similar, then I suggest it's possible, that...
    a. You don't fish that much
    b. You don't catch consistently so don't see the value of keeping things to yourself and not beating your chest on the internet.
    c. You have never really experienced the incredible fishing at night that some of us have, where fish, in a seasonal pattern, have been known to hold for weeks at a time, and feed according to a regular schedule under optimal conditions of time, tide, bait, and weather...."

There's an old phrase...
    "If I have to explain this to you...
    You wouldn't understand it anyway...."

One of the most prized areas I fish, is within about a year of being shut down because of idiots who fish there and can't keep their mouths shut....their ego prevents them from enjoying a good thing for eternity....I can only describe generalities, but when it is shut down there will be a hole in my heart....

This place represents not only fish opportunity to me, but a place of solitude and peace where I go to sort things out in my head...it's cheap and effective therapy, and I'm happiest when I'm fishing alone...

All that will now eventually change because of a few ego-driven idiots.

I realize because too many people have been there, there is no way to stop the inevitable shut-down......so I have to move on, and can and will find other areas to fill the void....but I know in my heart I will never find a place in NJ that is quite like this one......

All you guys who want to "share" with your buddies.....
    I hope my cautionary words above will cause at least one of you to re-think your actions...if you do, you may come back here one day, and thank me....

Yes as Master Googan your following has caught up to you. Possibly from your elaborate INTERNET stories ,pictures and talking to numerous strangers you have attracted attention to your self and have been hunted down like a dog or in your case BUNKER

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

C'mon Fin you can't pin this one on me... ..it's that one guy, from your country....you Goombahs really know how to shoot yourselves in the foot sometimes....

At least with us Russians, when we're shooting ourselves, we don't shoot in the foot., we aim for the brain, and then we're outta this life.....
    Up to that great fishing hole in the Sky......

That sucks, maybe you can talk to these guys and help them to see the error of their ways. Or is it beyond that?

Another reason to get a boat.

Fish Spots that most can't
    either swimming or yakking.
    your frustration shows why so many great fisherman DON'T POST
    or SPEAK to others. Never mind share info about gear & reports.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    In the meantime, if you have a favorite place you fish....and have been telling all your friends and "Facebook Buddies" about it (What is a facebook buddy anyway? )......
    A facebook buddy who blabs fishing information has to have some screws loose. Maybe secretly gay and enjoying the company of other men.

Default Re: I have a Favorite Spot I Fish - Can I Lose Access?

I think I look at things differently since I first started this thread....and in some cases the folks I meet out there (at night) may think I'm not friendly at all.....

My standard answer when leaving a place and asked if any fish are there...is either straight ahead zombie stare, or the simple word..."Nope".....

I feel bad about it, but have grown to realize that some fishermen can't be counted on not to bring legions of friends and family to areas that cannot hold that amount regularly.....

A recent case in Rumson, a guy was given a ticket for fishing a Public Access Spot (parking violation).
    Although the judge found him guilty, the fines and penalties were dismissed when he went to court...

I know the story behind why the ticket was given...will try to post it when I have more time.....

Default Re: I have a Favorite Spot I Fish - Can I Lose Access?

Here is some postitive news for access, guys.
    A NJ website that talks about the public trust doctrine and a new approach to optimizing public access.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/cmp/access/