Butch Colvins worked out of his Dad's place (Cap Colvins B&T) when he was a teenager. He went on to become a respected and knowledgable fly fishing guide in the area. He was one of the Co-founders of the American Fly fishing School with his good friend Capt Mike Corblies. He was well-known in the Ocean county and Barnegat Bay area during that time.

His contributions are part of NJ fishing history.

Sadly, he passed away in 2002, leaving behind a legacy of good memories and great stories. I heard some good stories about him from some old-time anglers.

RIP, Butch.

Here is a little about his life, from his friend Capt Mike Corblies'
flyfishing site:
http://www.americanflyfishingschools...orialpage.html

Coastal Guides
Butch Colvin Memorial Page

Butch Colvin age 63, Master Guide and Fly Tier passed away during Christmas of 2002. Butch was a pioneer in our sport, having been a member of the original Salt Water Flyrodders of America Club that was formed in Seaside Park, N.J. in the 1960's.

To the best of my knowledge Butch was the first person to guide fly fishermen in saltwater for hire, any place north of Florida.

He started his career as a teenager working out of his Dad's tackle shop the legendary (Cap Colvin's) and guided on Barnegat Bay for many of the early fly fishing experts that were seeking stripers, blues and weakfish.

Notable anglers including Joe Brooks, Stu Apte, Lee Wulff, Leon Chandler, Lefty Kreh and many others enjoyed fishing with him. Butch's fly tying skills and original patterns became finally well known in the Nineties when he became a featured tier at some of the National Fly Shows.

Through many years of unselfish personal lessons, casting clinics and classes at our School, he introduced hundreds of people to saltwater fly fishing and passed on his love for the outdoors and the sport to them. Several of those who learned from him have gone on to become well known professionals including Bob Popovichs and Jeff Mancini.

All that had the pleasure to know him will miss Butch's great common sense and his twinkling smile. I am sure if there is a flyrodders heaven than Butch Colvin has eaned a good spot on one of it's jetties. We all miss you my friend...

Capt. Mike Corblies

Below is Capt Mike to the left, and Butch Colvin to the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	831_Butch_Mike_with_a_Bass.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	9126

Here is a link to the home page if anyone wants to learn more about Capt Mike's site and possibly inquire as to a flyfishing trip or scheduled events: