Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
- Bearded clams are not to be confused with surf clams.

- The best clams are juicy.

- Sometimes really stinky clams get the job done.

- People are asking about using clambrella rigs or clamzilla rigs in the early season. More on that in a later post.
That is all...

Last week we were having some fun with clambrella rigs and the right presentation for spring fishing on another site.

I was supposed to post it last week, but couldn't get to it until now. Here ya go...

How to: fishing the clambrella rig

Question:
[hey all,
just ordered a 4 pack of clambrellas and last night after dinner i was trying one out in the back yard. don't want to look like a fool out on gp this season. is it supposed to open and spread like a hi-lo or is the advantage in having the clams bunch up? because how i was pitching it last night it was like i was tossing a seafood alfredo. any advice would be great. thanks.]

Responses:
1. you can't be serious that you bought that. Just use a hi-low rig and that s all you need. Take that thing back. You definately got ripped off

is this some kind of joke??

Cmon guys the man was seriously trying to learn a valuable new technique.
You all knew that clambrellas have been around in the US since the days the pilgrims fished, right?

There's a few special tricks and techniques to add to your angling experience when using the clambrella.

Let's try to help a brother fisherman out here:

1. just ordered a 4 pack of clambrellas and last night after dinner i was trying one out in the back yard.
That was a smart decision Radio. Buying a clambrella and learning to use it to catch large takes a while. The guys who do well with them are the ones who pay their dues and put in their time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clambrella-rig.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	10283

2. don't want to look like a fool out on gp this season. is it supposed to open and spread like a hi-lo or is the advantage in having the clams bunch up?
That would depend on how the fish are running. If it's a full moon, it's better having the clams bunch up and let them sit together on the bottom. Fish are sometimes spooked during a full moon. The key to catching large during a time like this is to make absolutely sure that clambrella glob stays on the bottom. During the first April full moon, I have seen guys land cows up to 45# using that rig, by carefully following the above procedure.

It's also is deadly during an October full moon if the surf is very quiet. If you have done your homework and are there at the correct time, sometimes in addition to catching your cow the Great Pumpkin or King Neptune has appeared to lucky anglers.

Name:	IMGP7247.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	10284

3. because how i was pitching it last night it was like i was tossing a seafood alfredo. any advice would be great. thanks
Anyone can buy and use a clambrella, but not everyone can master the skills needed. You need to throw it just the right way for it to unfold and sit there with all those bait choices for the hungry bass to find. The technique for the clambrella is somewhat like throwing a cast net for bunker.

The key here: practice, practice, and more practice.

(I'll try to come back when I have more time and explain various advanced clambrella tricks, such as.. )

-dipping the clams in bunker or garlic oil to get more fish

-mixing and matching clams and fresh bunker for the optimum amount of strikes

- tricks of the old-timers such as tipping some of the clambrella hooks with fresh bacon

-fishing the rig with maximum efficiency by carefully perching a fishing ladder in calm surf and learning how this extra height will give you more leverage when fighting big fish

Name:	fishing ladder1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	10285

- advanced clambrella trolling, where one attaches the rig to a sturdy rod mounted to the bed of a truck or the back of your beach buggy. This is deadly during times when you know the bass are there but they are sitting on the bottom with lockjaw. It's also best done at night so the tourists don't see how effective it really is...

There ya go **********, hope that helps!
Anyone else with tips and tricks for this or other early season specialty striped bass rigs, feel free to jump in.