Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ fishing reports for May 15-31, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by clamchucker View Post
    Yukon, Dark and others, don't feel bad about being into the fish. I was into them for a few hours yesterday above the park. There were a few of us but the conditions were terrible. I had to throw an A47 diamond jig. You only had a few seconds when it was in the strike zone, but the fish were right there in the surf. I got 11 bass to 31#, all released. I am so tired from that as I don't put in the days fishing like I used to with the health issues I have had. Thinking it would repeat itself I was there this morning and the water was dirty. There were no fish. I then drove to IBSP. The water was dirty there as well but I managed a few bluefish on diamond jigs These blitzes are very sporadic and nothing like the all day blitzes we used to have. However, that was many years ago, and no one but us old folks remembers them.
    Great day good for you. Your right the blitzes of today can't compare to what we once had and will never see again

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Default needle in a haystack

Wow clamchucker, congrats on finding a needle in a haystack.

Fished today,

Default Dirty water slows the fishing down

Set out yesterday in search of some cleaner water, or bait, after that heavy noreaster. Couldn't find much. After a few casts I spied Finchaser fishing with his new fishing friends... "S" who we met the other day, and another guy.

I went over and mugged them. The bite died after that. Fin managed a bluefish before it turned off.

He swore I had shut off the bite, with me logically explaining it was because the tide had dropped (where was Killie during all this? ).

We hit a few other places to follow the tide, but the dirty water took its toll and put the hex on us. We ended up back near where we started, where I managed a bluefish on a bomber. We fished damn hard for those fish in that dirty water. No one else seemed to be lighting the world on fire with great catches last night either, even the guys fishing bunker.

Declaring the water officially dead, and dirty, with tons of weeds and rain runoff, he left and I crashed in my car. Up and OTW at 4am. Giving it my best, I couldn't catch a fish till 5am, a small bluefish on the big bomber.

A cool thing I saw was when a decent bass cleared the water with its shoulders and inhaled a bunker sideways, heading for the deep water like a submarine. It's definitely a sad life for a bunker.

The next fish didn't come until 5:25, when, exasperated with all the weeds and getting dressed salad on every 2nd cast, I finally put on a small metal and nailed a short bass. The sky got brighter, and the action where I was died at 5:30.

I hate sun and surf in the morning. The good bait and predator action was nowhere near the levels it was yesterday. The rainwater probably affected that as well. If it was overcast and gloomy during every day of fishing season, I would be the happiest fisherman around.

Finished with a scout report of 10 miles of ocean before I gave up for the morning. The tide was approaching low, and the water in that zone looked pretty dead except for a few boats about 1/2 mile out in one area.

Cliff Notes
    Caught a blue on jig and rubber DS showed up killed bite

The end

fished sh this morning 630 thill 1100 got 4 bass one keeper 30 inches let it go .it looked like it was loaded with eggs big fat belle.must had been some storm,the beach looked pretty torne up.

Out front on the building Nor'Easter. 44"

Interesting bite last night.

Few bass to 15 pounds, lots of gator blues, all on bunker. Embarrassed to say I missed and got bitten off many more times than I caught. Fish were doing cartwheels while I was leaving this morning at 4:30am but I had a 9am meeting.

The bass were very fat and on the upper end of the weight charts for their length.

I am loving my rod I got from Killie last year that if I remember correctly Finchaser built? It is a 10ft Rainshadow with red/black wrap that can do spinning and conventional and it has some serious fish fighting abilities. By the time I get the fish close, they are begging me to take them out of the water because the leverage on the rod is more tiring than laying on the ground! ABSOLUTELY LOVING THE ROD, can't remember the model. 1089?

Not sure why I did not use too much last year. I cast sometimes and I am like, what the hell was that. Casts like a self guided missile, effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Simp View Post
    Out front on the building Nor'Easter. 44"

Nice fish Simp!
    Did you make the swimmer you got it on?

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Nice fish Simp!
    Did you make the swimmer you got it on?
    Thanks. No, a friend up in Mass turned that.

Quote Originally Posted by c4charlie View Post
    Interesting bite last night.

Few bass to 15 pounds, lots of gator blues, all on bunker. Embarrassed to say I missed and got bitten off many more times than I caught. Fish were doing cartwheels while I was leaving this morning at 4:30am but I had a 9am meeting.

The bass were very fat and on the upper end of the weight charts for their length.

I am loving my rod I got from Killie last year that if I remember correctly Finchaser built? It is a 10ft Rainshadow with red/black wrap that can do spinning and conventional and it has some serious fish fighting abilities. By the time I get the fish close, they are begging me to take them out of the water because the leverage on the rod is more tiring than laying on the ground! ABSOLUTELY LOVING THE ROD, can't remember the model. 1089?

Not sure why I did not use too much last year. I cast sometimes and I am like, what the hell was that. Casts like a self guided missile, effortlessly.
    I told all of you he makes GREAT rods. The distance I get on my casts is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Cliff Notes
    Caught a blue on jig and rubber DS showed up killed bite

The end
    Thats the quick version, Im guessing a 4 paragraph post with Bold letters and quotes and emoticons will follow Anyone else ever feel tired after reading a DS report?? I feel like a need a glass of Tang after them.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    Thats the quick version, Im guessing a 4 paragraph post with Bold letters and quotes and emoticons will follow Anyone else ever feel tired after reading a DS report?? I feel like a need a glass of Tang after them.

Didn'tcha know I get paid by the word around here?
    I wish I did, then I could retire...

How ya been? the artificial night bass bite is a little slow so far this year, seems like the daytime action is where it's at. Blink and ya missed it.

I'll throw a bottle of Tang at ya the next time I bump into ya.

Default boats won today

I was out today from 12 - 6 from Moco to IBSP. The bunker never came in at least where i was. There was a huge fleet of boats basically in the same spot off OC all day and from what I heard and read they had a freakin field day. 30# - 40#+ fish all day long. Acres of bunker.

If you guys have the chance I would be out on that beach at first light. It might go off somewhere...

I'm going to the darkside tomorrow off a boat but up north off LI. If I get into anything as close as what happened today I'll be a happy camper.

Another note the bunker pod split up during the day with one set going north of SoMoCo. So tonight they should regroup and stay put so we may see nirvana again...

This weekend should be interesting... Did someone say eels off the rocks starting around midnight And I thought last year was nutz this SH#$ is insane!!

fished sh this morning 630 till 1100 5 shorts. saw some nice fish caught to my right one 37 inch an one 35 inch . all on clams.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I was out today from 12 - 6 from Moco to IBSP. The bunker never came in at least where i was. There was a huge fleet of boats basically in the same spot off OC all day and from what I heard and read they had a freakin field day. 30# - 40#+ fish all day long. Acres of bunker.

Yukon it was truly a phenomenal day yesterday. We were out of the gate at 4am from the MI. There were acres of bass out there. We managed 8bass to 30# on live bunker, kept 2 for the table.
    A day to remember.

I am glad to hear you guys are getting them on the boats. I have been watching that activity and people look busy out there. Congratulations. I fished the park this morning with jigs and bucktails, one bluefish.

Did the boat thing 6-11AM landed some really nice bunker in the 1 pound range. Also went 4 for 6 on the bass 27#,31#,37# and 39#all were released to fight another day.
    My friend had 5 to 41# he kept a 22# for his mother
    Spotter plane and bunker boat arrived and took tons of bunker action came to a halt.

Black mat in bottom 2 pictures is 38 inches these are the 3 over 30#

Quote Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
    Yukon it was truly a phenomenal day yesterday. We were out of the gate at 4am from the MI. There were acres of bass out there. We managed 8bass to 30# on live bunker, kept 2 for the table.
    A day to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Did the boat thing 6-11AM landed some really nice bunker in the 1 pound range. Also went 4 for 6 on the bass 27#,31#,37# and 39#all were released to fight another day.
    My friend had 5 to 41# he kept a 22# for his mother
    Spotter plane and bunker boat arrived and took tons of bunker action came to a halt.

Black matt in bottom 2 pictures is 38 inches these are the 3 over 30#
    Boy oh boy I need to get out on a boat. Fantastic catches guys.

I fished nomoco from 2 to 3PM, one bass 29", clams. Skates are coming in thick, guys.

Nice catches, I worked a Sjersey bay area for 2 hours today, small poppers, couldn't raise one fish.

(Cliff notes for you PITA haters out there)
    After all the bbusting I did of him, thought it was only fair to take Rip AKA TMB AKA The Mad Banana out for a night of fishing, artificial only. I made him pledge not to use bait for one night.

Looking back, we could probably have done better with bait in that cold water, but then he wouldn't have learned the lessons I was tryin to teach him.

We covered a lot of ground.
    Water was cold but clean, fished the ocean, 5 hours of the ebb from the top.
    We had to bust our azzes for every fish or strike.

He had the hot hand for the night as I taught him the different optimal presentations for bucktail, rubber, metal, and some topwater in various pieces of water.
    He managed 3 bluefish and the biggest sea robin I have ever seen anyone pull in on a rubber curlytail. Sea robins are now infesting the waters, they're in for the spawn.

We both hooked a few more fish that came unbuttoned. The numbers are low, the fish are still sluggish in the cold night ocean water, despite fishing choice real estate. Lack of small bait and cold water was my guess for the poor results.

At the end I taught him a little about scouting some ocean spots, but surf was dead near slack low.We quickly drove to a back bay spot for some "almost guaranteed" bluefish artificial action, but the tide had dropped too much in that spot.

I think he did well. He's a good student and a good listener, even though he thought I was yelling at him as I barked instructions as to the next presentation I wanted him to use, and kept on him like a Marine drill sergeant. We moved around a lot as the fish were very scattered.

Good fishin with ya Rip, we'll do it again once the small bait is holding in more ocean areas.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast