Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: fish a Noreaster!

Just got back tried the fly rod with clams as it was a little brisk for a fly. just a bunch of shorts Even wore my Effum all hoodie to stay warm

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    clambrella and the effumall club that brought back some memories. Anyone up for some surf fishing? Winds are 34mph on the beach now, gusts to 38mph.
    http://www.surfchex.com/manasquan-web-cam.php
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Just got back tried the fly rod with clams as it was a little brisk for a fly. just a bunch of shorts Even wore my Effum all hoodie to stay warm

haha rofl! You guys are hardcore thanks for the intel! I'll get my clambrella gear and try for after the storm stops. finchaser was this in moco or occo? clams on a fly rod lol.

Curious about the mechanics of the clam and fly rod combo. Did you use an inline egg sinker for distance against the wind or was the weight of the clam enough to get it out there with the 38mph winds?

I use a littleneck clam on the 1/2 shell with hole drilled for hook to go through

I know there is a lot of joking going on in this thread but the conditions outside have me drooliing. Every year in the bay the first noreaster is when we catch nice bass. Like clockwork we fish the beginning 24 hours before and its like someone turned a switch on. This year we cant because its too cold. The water temps are around 38 and unless you're fishing a warm water outflow you won't catch numbers like we usually do. Hoping for this cold to fade away and some sunny days to stack up so we can get out there. Ol man winter get lost you have outworn your welcome.

^ Good point, led.......I remember those conditions too.....usually signal the start of some good action......
    Back when I used to fish bait a lot I was out one night at 1am at Sandy Hook. It was hours before a pending noreaster in the morning......
    The ocean was rough, big surf, and some wind...but no rain as of then....I figured I had till the morning....

I was catching bass....I think I had 6 or 7 bass to mid teens within 1 1/2 hours.......and then the storm started....first rain...then lightning......
    I knew the rods could act as lightning rods so I laid down on the beach, away from them, after reeling them in quickly......the rain and lightning continued as I lay there curled up in the fetal position as flat as possible.......eventually there was a break in the weather. I made a break for the vehicle and got the hell out of there......looking back it was not the smartest move to be out in that weather...could have been killed....but I was younger and dumb......and the fish were hungry...

** The OGB asked me to advise ya's that all we need........ to bring the thousands of fish to the beach (the fish that aren't there anymore) is the next noreaster.....and that after that it will be EPIC....

^^^^^^ Well looks like he was right! They're here with sea lice.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...lers-com/page5

Also the Dogwoods are in full bloom

Tulips – arrival ofwinter flounder
    Dogwood –arrival of striped bass
    Lilac – weakfish arein town
    Forsythia – bluefishand fluke are on the move

September’s fullharvest moon has a tremendous effect on both weakfish and striped bass whichtake it as a sign to start their annual southern migration. During this lunar period juvenile species ofboth predator and prey are driven outward along the shoreline.

Wind from the North,fish come forth
    Wind from the South,fish shut there mouth
    Wind from the East,fish come to feast
    Wind from the West,fishing is the best

Good call finchaser

All right who's the one from this site who will be photographed on the Squan jetty? must be some fish there it looks real fishy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manasquan inlet sept 9.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	18846

Even the surfers took off today. You can just barely see 3 of them in the right half of the photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manasquan sept 9.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	18847

fished the back inside of the inlet and river for 3 hours just got in water is like chocolate milk full of weed no bait and no fish did it to prove a point to some one

^ It wasn't me.

but I bet you were out

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    All right who's the one from this site who will be photographed on the Squan jetty? must be some fish there it looks real fishy!
    I was watching that jetty on the cam today. Swells breaking over the front. How much do you want to bet some dilly will put himself out there before tomorrow. Where are the slobs being weighed in today?

Well with all the talk about northeasters I don't think anyone was out there yesterday or today. Real typhoon type weather equals no bass. The only stripers to be found in this weather are in the tank at Cabelas lol.

Yup thats where all the cows are!

I use a littleneck clam on the 1/2 shell with hole drilled for hook to go through
    Love this thread it should be part of the best of here. Awesome advice and graphics.

Yep clambrellas, littleneck clams with holes drilled, googs fishing on the tips of inlets this thread has it all. Good read I skim through it every winter for the sage wisdom.

Did anyone else look at the Squan surf cam this morning? I saw two idiots three quarters of the way out on the jetty. they had rods and gear with them.

Darwin's theory of evolution? You can't fix stupid? I don't have an answer because Ididn't see it. There is always someone out there who thinks when waves are crashing 10 feet over a jetty there will be a striper in the pocket lol.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast