Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I win the googan of the year award

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    roflmao you guys have way too much time on your hands. When are the trophies given out?
    I am thinking storminsteve had a "Worlds Greatest Dead Thing Finder" trophy made for himself and already bas it on his mantle. DELUSIONAL! !!! Probably a bronzed squirrel he ran over in the driveway.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

No trophies needed surferman. Monty has a lock on the googan gig. I'm simply the best at finding dead things. I have been scouting the back bays and will honor my word to monty not to take dead thing pics until he starts fishing again. When is that date again so I can put it on my calendar?
    Have a safe trip to China monty. When you return I hope you bring your A game with you fishing because you are going to need it.
    Can you smuggle some authentic Chinese food back with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I am thinking storminsteve had a "Worlds Greatest Dead Thing Finder" trophy made for himself and already bas it on his mantle. DELUSIONAL! !!! Probably a bronzed squirrel he ran over in the driveway.

Hey if I run over something on the WAY to fishing, that is something that is found while fishing. The drive down is part of the trip. The stop to get coffee at quik chek or wawa. the stop to gas up, food runs, and any tackle shop stops. They are all part of my fishing trips and I have my eyes open every second of the way for dead thing clues. Bring your A game with you this time, I'm getting bored competing with amateurs. Have a safe trip!

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    No trophies needed surferman. Monty has a lock on the googan gig. I'm simply the best at finding dead things. I have been scouting the back bays and will honor my word to monty not to take dead thing pics until he starts fishing again. When is that date again so I can put it on my calendar?
    Have a safe trip to China monty. When you return I hope you bring your A game with you fishing because you are going to need it.
    Can you smuggle some authentic Chinese food back with you?
    Thanks, will try to get an authentic Chinese cookie to bring back.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Hey if I run over something on the WAY to fishing, that is something that is found while fishing. The drive down is part of the trip. The stop to get coffee at quik chek or wawa. the stop to gas up, food runs, and any tackle shop stops. They are all part of my fishing trips and I have my eyes open every second of the way for dead thing clues. Bring your A game with you this time, I'm getting bored competing with amateurs. Have a safe trip!

Thanks

Just for Rob Medina.....
    This is what the Goog of the year award looks like, and some of the requirements.....
    Brush up on some of the short stories here...
    Based on what happened to you thus far this year.....major accidents, lightning storms, struck by lightning...house electrical service falling down.......in no time you'll be in contention for this prestigious prize....

I will warn ya....Monty is a tough competitor, and will fight to the end to retain his Goog crown.....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Just for Rob Medina.....
    This is what the Goog of the year award looks like, and some of the requirements.....
    Brush up on some of the short stories here...
    Based on what happened to you thus far this year.....major accidents, lightning storms, struck by lightning...house electrical service falling down.......in no time you'll be in contention for this prestigious prize....

I will warn ya....Monty is a tough competitor, and will fight to the end to retain his Goog crown.....
    But it took him half a year to put that list together....Rookie.

After Darks Kayak story no one will ever de-throne him as King of the googans

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Kayak story? Details please?
    I am casting my vote for monty. I remember him hooking himsellf a lot of times and also those xrays were pretty cool.
    rob I would love to see some pics of the fried truck computer it could influence the voting.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    rob I would love to see some pics of the fried truck computer it could influence the voting.
    LOL, well my legs are covered in bug bites- does that account for anything? My computer in my truck got fried as did the steering something or another thing. $2600 total, not including the rental.

I go on a guided fishing trip tomorrow- hopefully my luck will change and I can get into some big red fish!

What are you fishing for just reds, or snook too. Post some pics if you get one.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    LOL, well my legs are covered in bug bites- does that account for anything? My computer in my truck got fried as did the steering something or another thing. $2600 total, not including the rental.

I go on a guided fishing trip tomorrow- hopefully my luck will change and I can get into some big red fish!
    Top this one tomorrow and then you can start getting some consideration. You really need to do this 40 miles from the ocean but with this vacation your having you would be there. Thinking of vacations, I did this on day one of a vacation, so when I did get out there the next 4 days it had to be covered pretty good, a bit of an inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Kayak story? Details please?
    I am casting my vote for monty. I remember him hooking himsellf a lot of times and also those xrays were pretty cool.

"That story gave me chills, Willie.

Enough time has gone by, that I can share my Stepping Stone story......was too embarassed to talk about it for awhile.....

When I first started fishing the Sound at night, I was too proud to ask anyone for advice. I just went over there and figured I would find the fish. I took my yak out and was trolling, didn't really know the area. No fish at all for me.

I knew they were catching fish at the Stepping Stone lighthouse at night. The channels were pretty deep there. As mentioned the big ships pass by there coming up and down the East River and various places in the Bronx.

It was late at night and I knew about the traffic, figured a late night trip peddling over there would not be that risky.
    Once I got there, I anchored my yak on some rocks and walked around a bit.
    Saw there are lots of crabs on those rocks and that's one of the things that probably draws the bass and fish there.

That was a few years ago. At that time I didn't pay as much attention to extended wind forecasts like I do now. I won't go out on the yak now at night if the winds are forecast to be over 10mph.

The wind started kicking up from the N. In the space of a few minutes it went to about 20mph, putting whitecaps on the water there.
    I knew I had to get the hell out of there and back to the launch.

I got in the water and a bit of panic crept over me. I was scared, really scared. At that time I was not carrying a VHF, which in retrospect was pretty stupid.

As I pushed away from those rocks, survival mode crept over. I told myself:
    "Rich you are an idiot! You should have known better than to come all the way out here by yourself at night and not really know the deal.
    You will survive, you will learn from this, and never make this particular mistake again!"

I got in that yak and pedalled and paddled like Satan himself was after me. (and he probably was)
    I finally made it to a part of the land, near City island, where the land provided a lee from the relentless wind.
    I made my way around the S part of the Island to keep that lee to my benefit until I got back to the launch.

In all honesty, once I got within 100 yards of City Island I was ok. It's amazing how once you find a lee from the wind in the yak, your level of anxiety can drop.

Still, looking back at that experience, I'm probably lucky I made it out of there. I was coming back, in the middle of the night, crossing over deep water channels with swells 2' and better.

I have really come to love fishing the Sound at night because you can often find protected areas for different types of wind. I have spent many a night out there, fishing calm, quiet water, with little boat traffic except for the commercial ships. The rocky coves are paradise for a yak fisherman, and hardly anyone up there fishes at night. You can have the whole place to yourself all night without ever running into a soul. It's so free of night traffic I often think of it as my own private fishing reserve.

It's still a big body of water, and can get ugly with certain wind patterns.
    You have to be self-reliant and have contingency plans. If anything happens to you at night, you are all alone, on your own, and have to figure a way out of it by yourself. I learned my lesson that night, and have made adjustments in my yak fish planning to be more careful at night because of it. "

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

@ Monty- No thanks Brother, you can have the award LOL! I took my fly rod out into the surf on Sunday. There is a ton of bait in the water here. I could see that something was chasing the bait in the troughs so I got my fly rod out and was working those areas. The wind picked up a tad bit from the south and since I am right handed- one cast my fly smacked me in the shoulder. Luckily I have steel like muscle and skin so it just bounced right off (- I know) but that was close.

I don't want any hooks embedded in me! note to self- crimp down them barbs!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    The wind picked up a tad bit from the south and since I am right handed- one cast my fly smacked me in the shoulder. Luckily I have steel like muscle and skin so it just bounced right off (- I know) but that was close.
    We have some interesting dynamics here....
    1. Monty seems to be tenaciously defending his claim as Googan of the year......you can see by the words and phrases he uses it's real important to him, to be the premier Goog out there......
    2. Rob, on the other hand, who says he doesn't want to be a contender, just keeps coming up with example after example, of why he should be included.....

Fin, this is why I can't be in these things....these 2 mooks are far more deserving of that award than I ever could be....

May the best man win.....

Heres a suggesstion why don't you have different awards meaning you have achieved different levels? like googan in training, master googan,world champion googan, and universal champ googan. kind of like they have in karate. That way you open it up to more people. my .02

Monty and I cant help that we are naturals!

^^^^^^ Yes and I would agree we should let you two duke it out for the googan awards. I like sea monkey's suggestion. Just let me have the dead thing title and all will be good, No worries haha!

Just a head's up ..
    Although some of us have made spectacular goog and dilly moves this year, Monty feels he should still be the front runner........if anyone has any goog stories to top his....feel free to share....or forever hold your peace...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Just a head's up ..
    Although some of us have made spectacular goog and dilly moves this year, Monty feels he should still be the front runner........if anyone has any goog stories to top his....feel free to share....or forever hold your peace...
    Hold on there King Goog.
    I may have had a couple Goog events this year, but you really ran away with it this year.
    The JB incident on the Parkway, the Horseshoe crab paddles, on and on.
    Rumors of report chasing and even waiting......rumors.
    2015 is yours in a runaway. My 2015 goog highlights pale by comparison

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast