Thread: 'Twas a Dark & Stormy Night...

Hybrid View

Wow Jake,that was a great read, thank you for sharing.
    I agree with Porgy, you got some Balls of Steel.
    How do you not get hurt bouncing on the rocks?
    So you had a fish get almost tangled with your legs, sounds like you swam in the wrong direction the first time (or were way out past were you thought you were), landed on rocks (2x) and almost got stuck being out there in a thunder and lightning storm. And you did this all out there by your self.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Well-written, engaging, and just enough action to keep you interested. Nice work, Jake.

Excellent piece, Jake, I felt like I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I agree with Porgy, you got some Balls of Steel.
    How do you not get hurt bouncing on the rocks?
    Well, I don't know about that, they're actually kind of squishy .
    If I know I'm well equipped, and I know the area well, that kind of thing is more of a thrill and a challenge to me than a scary experience. I know I can take whatever those conditions can dish out, so I just relax and have fun. Losing your cool in situations like that, or getting freaked out, is the worst thing you can do.

With regard to getting hurt on the rocks, 7-14mm of neoprene is great padding Also, with some experience you learn how to not fight the waves, but try to use them to your advantage as much as possible. My rod and reel take a beating though....

Stripercoast Surfcasters Club
    Dedicated to Conservation

Quote Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
    Well, I don't know about that, they're actually kind of squishy .
    Quote of the week right here, and you're man enough to admit it. Great read.

Gripping story, Jake, you really nailed what it's like. Like some said here, you should consider writing or sending out some of these stories to the saltwater magzines for publication. I'll bet there would be an interest.

You have a colorful style that makes the reader feel they're right there as it happens. Good stuff!

Wow, I was searching and just came across this. Great story. Like DS said, you should submit it to a fishing magazine or something.

Great read

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Jake, this was the first time reading this. I love reading your stories. I could picture what you went thru. It's very Cool stuff. I wish I didn't have the fear of trying it. I think I would become a bloated floater.

Was scrolling through the surf forum and found this, thanks for sharing. Fantastic read