Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
I know you went through a lot. You would make a good national spokesman for the Cancer Society. You shoot from the hip and pull no punches. Thanks for sharing that, Steve.
I don't know if the ACS is ready for me. I think i could handle a bigger stage given the chance, but I believe people prefer listening to celebrities. They see them at the movies,at the ballpark or on TV and they feel like they know them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
*** I didn't even know what to say. A very close friend just called to tell me he may have cancer. Will find out more next week. I don't know what to do besides pray and hope
Having been on both sides of the fence I've found your side tougher. Having gone through all the crap I now have a better perspective, as this was my first serious illness and first surgery.

From a patients perspective, I'm not dead yet, stop acting like you're at a funeral or a wake. If I need help and you're a good friend I'll probably ask for it. Don't feed me some bs like "if I need anything call" if you don't mean it. As I said before i always hated hearing the words "sorry to hear that". I would normally lead the conversation in the direction i wanted it to go. Much easier on the friends and family members. If i heard those words my response was usually, "if you're not laughing within the next few minutes I'm hanging up the phone". Trust me i had them laughing. If you normally call once a week, keep it up. Don't need to hear from you every day. I suppose most people with family and friends get a hell of a lot more calls when they're sick. After awhile they get tired of answering the same questions over and over.

As a friend I believe it's your job to bring a little normalcy back to my life. I know I'm sick. The reason i know this is because i have a team of doctors, nurses, chemists and nuclear physicists telling me I'm sick and their treatments are probably bringing me as close to death as they can without killing me. If my body wasn't telling me i was sick before, it probably is now. If I don't feel like talking I won't and if I do feel like talking, talk about whatever it is we talked about before, fishing, hunting, sports, women, work suck it up and stop whining.

Hope this helps